1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About to Launch semi truck tire tread left on hwy..

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ♡myPeeus, Aug 28, 2017.

1. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh My Good Flap Jacks, didnt the semi-truck drivers bell go off when his f@! $ tire tread come off and put a dozen drivers whom are human lives at risk?
    Guess not. Prius cars have low clearance we all are aware but to hit one half of a retread with our fascinating cars can and will get ugly. Id like to thank one of the owners here for suggesting a dash cam first of all.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!
    Okay now, 1503898638387.jpg look at this beauty. Oh we are done yet.
    1503898674416.jpg

If I had not installed a camera it would be all smoke and shit to insurance.
    So now it literally disolved my grill. Dragged my undercover loose and pisst me right off.
    The car behind ate all that came off my car plus his own front end.

Anyone know where I can order a new grill without fog light? That wont be a second mortgage?

HELP BEAUTIFUL HUMANS!

oh how do you post video? Ya'll got to see this.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco and RCO like this.
  2. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I almost know how you feel! I was driving down highway at 65 mph and heard a loud POW!
    A second later the tire tread off a wheeler came spiraling out the side of the trailer. It was like a rattling snake only looked taller than Prius. I managed to swerve and drive along shoulder as I drove past it. Was absolutely eye opening and nerve wrecking all in one. Thankful I could swerve!
    Parts readily available and can be replaced quite easily.

♡myPeeus and RCO like this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is exactly why I try to NEVER follow a semi.....at any distance less than half a mile.
    And when it's time to pass one, gas it and GO; get around as fast as possible.

It is also testimony for not following other CARS too closely.
    I bet the guy behind you wishes that he had left a bit more space.

4. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I approached the semi going the speed limit and was going to change lanes, I agree I dont follow Semi trucks AT ALL, this day was busy on the hwy with many trucks on the road as well as vehicles. If I knew how to post a video clip then you would see what was happening. I basically got stuck behind the truck.
    Yes the guy behind me got it good. It sucked. So far 1,000 $ in damages. Need to have the under carriage inspected for anything loose.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is why i refuse to drive at night.

♡myPeeus likes this.
  6. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And I thought it was fear of vampires . . . . :D

I know some on the forum advise camping behind trucks, trailers, etc., for gas mileage. That's just testing karma and poor advice. I'm in OKC and in "warm" weather have seen trucks come through on I-40 or I-35 that have massive sheets of ice come flying off the tops of the trailers onto the road/vehicles behind them because they were parked over night a few hundred miles away, and were covered in a layer of ice or snow, and it took that much distance for it to warm up enough to loosen a 200 lb sheet and fly off. You can't see it coming until it pops off. I've seen hand trucks fall off of soda/beer company trucks in the middle of traffic, etc., etc. Talk about damage. One of the biggest factors in road hazards is poorly secured loads on public and commercial vehicles.

I don't purposely follow any vehicle with the intent of drafting for gas mileage. When I do wind up behind one, I find a way to not stay there. On NAFTA highways (I-35), that can be tough.

Sorry you had that sphincter tightening moment with the tread. I've only had that happen once, but I was in my 4Runner and cleared it. It was still shocking.

WilDavis and RCO like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have been (way) behind a number of trucks on our annual florida trek. seen the lose tires, lose cargo, even flip over. not worth the potential tragedy to follow close or blindly at night.
    u.s. trucking regulations have all gone by the board. cops pay no attention. once in awhile, you'll see a weigh station open. they don't check the load for security though, how many hours the driver has been on the road, etc.

♡myPeeus, RCO and Mark57 like this.
  8. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Similar here. My next door neighbor is a retired highway patrol officer. He was on the rolling truck enforcement team. His stories are hair raising on what he found and what's on the road. No way to catch it all.

RCO and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but they could be more vigilant on the routes i travel. seems even the speed limit for auto's is out the window and everyone is flying.

RCO and Mark57 like this.
  10. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Abso-damn-lutely! Due to the low oil prices, our state is in budget crisis. They decided the highway patrol was out of cash so they limited each trooper to 100 miles per day, max. If they went over, they had to sit in the office the next day. Give me a break. They lifted it after a few months, but dang. Dark ages here.

RCO and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the least they could have done was sit on the side of the highway and raised some revenue.:p

jerrymildred, RCO and Mark57 like this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in UK the highway police have some ex-truckers in uniform driving unmarked truck cabs on the motorways. They know so all the tricks and catch culprits on hand-held video for any number of violations... Including, using a cell phone while driving. They showed a TV program about it, very entertaining!

jerrymildred and Mark57 like this.
  13. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an excellent way to do it.

RCO likes this.
  14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With a Cd of 0.26 who the hell needs to draft, anyway?

♡myPeeus, scona, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  15. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Take a look here, I had a game rooster take out my grill, parts got here fast.

08 2008 Toyota Prius Bumper Grille - Body Mechanical & Trim - Action Crash, Front - PartsGeek

♡myPeeus likes this.
  16. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed.