1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abs actuator broken, should I wait for recall or sell

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by garrettingle22, Aug 6, 2022.

1. garrettingle22

garrettingle22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey y’all, love this forum, didn’t think my first post here would be so dire but the other day while driving, brake pedal goes to the floor, rapid beeping, abs, brake, and traction control lights on. Took it to my mechanic and he tells me I need brake pads, and the abs module is broken.

Feared this happening, and I know about an old recall and a more recent one, but my car just barely doesn’t qualify for the vin (2010). With the most recent alerts going out about a lawsuit for the inverters, should I wait around to see if anything comes for the abs module? It seems it’s a massive problem on these gen 3’s!

I recently got the oil changed at caliber auto, and after I got that done, I heard a high pitched whistling sound coming from under the dash that stopped when the brake was applied. They sent me a status link that showed multiple pictures of my car but also with a “fluid tester” that showed they opened my brake fluid reservoir. Could that be linked to my abs breaking? It happened literally days after my oil change and the whistling noise was completely new after the oil change. Not a mechanic but it seems weird and I feel it could be related.

I’m a college student and I actually used the car to door dash. Loved this car but I need a vehicle to get around.-
    Also curious about how much y’all think I could get- it’s a Prius II blue with 163k miles with the issues I listed, plus some paint and minor body damage on the passenger doors.

I appreciate any responses, thanks for the read!

2. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    To state the obvious, you have checked brake fluid level and considered having the brake system flushed so you know there is no air in the brake lines?

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why'd they do that? There's no need to open the reservoir to check fluid level.

Radiospank likes this.
  4. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sounds weird that it happened after the oil change, but if they tell you that the abs module is broken, then i would sell as a college student. 1. you don't have the space to work on your car, 2, less stress on you to worry about fixing it and buying the parts and tools necessary. I replace mine not too long ago and it is not an easy job, dealer will rape you, so get a toyota corolla or something and cut your loss.