1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS actuator failures related to lack of use?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Feb 20, 2022.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An ABS actuator failure is a really expensive repair on this car. But thinking about the way I drive mine, it doesn't seem like it would ever be used. I cannot recall the last time I had to slam on the brakes, or for that matter, even brake hard. Is it possible these fail in part because they sit long periods doing absolutely nothing, and maybe the lack of fluid circulation is bad for them? In other words, would it be a good idea to slam on the brakes once and a while?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not from a lack of use, it's being used every time you start the car. It could have been engineered a little better but ultimately it's a wear item and will fail. Just like the Gen3 cars now, getting the failure

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a number of valves in the actuator, and it may be the case that some of them never see much action except when ABS is triggered. But also those valves are never under pressure except while braking, so they can't be the culprits in the usual "pressure leaks down even when not braking" issue anyway.

And the valves that are upstream of those, and could plausibly be the culprits, get regular exercise whenever you use the brakes. Like JC91006, I would lean toward thinking it's wear.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe caused by too much panic braking