1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

((!)) ABS and Brake Light On

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by MaryDairy, Mar 19, 2017.

1. MaryDairy

MaryDairy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just took my 2007 Prius to a local shop to have new brakes put on.

The mileage is 113k and the mechanic said the car needed front pads with possible new rotors (I opted for only pads as the rotors did not look damaged to me), new rear shoes and new rear drums. The shop manager comes in and tells me the ABS light and Brake light are not turning off and if they don't reset automatically within 2 days to bring the car back.

I'm wondering if it's safe to drive my car and what the issue could possibly be? I'm worried that the shop won't be able to fix the issues. I know only basics about cars and brakes and nothing about Prius as this is my first Prius/hybrid car so I have concerns that the shop will somehow damage or has damaged my vehicle.

I spent 4 hours waiting at the shop for them to finish and they charged me $470 for the service and now I'll need to return to have them fix the issue. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I've attached images of my rotor, shoe, and drum as the mechanic let me look at it when the tires were off.

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car doesn't automatically reset. You should tell then you'll be taking to the dealer and they'll be getting the bill

Most likely they didn't disconnect the 12v battery when they did the brakes. The electronic brakes activated and now all the lights are on

RCO likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the lights mean that the brake computers have stored some codes about unusual things they noticed, maybe during or after the brake work.

It is easy to read out those codes, and that will give a better idea what the situation is. By searching this forum, you can find numerous threads about how to use a small wire to jump the TC to CG pins at the diagnostic connector (above the driver's knee), and then count the blinks (representing two-digit code numbers) on the brake, ABS, and ((!)) lights.

The codes can then be looked up in the repair manual, or posted here to see who recognizes 'em.

It's so easy to do, there's hardly any point in pursuing remedies without knowing what's up.

-Chap

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.