1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Austinv, May 1, 2020.

1. Austinv

Austinv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello everyone,

I have been having issues with my 2012 Prius (171 000km). I had the rapid flashing hazard light issue that other users have reported while accelerating. I took it to the dealership and was told that I would have to replace the Brake Master Cylinder (ABS Actuator as some call it) and was told that a new part would be $4500 labour or they would source a used part. The dealership sourced the used part and was charged $1739.65 for the part and labour before tax (CAD).

They said that the car was fixed but after leaving dealership the ABS is engaging while turning left or right on the drivers side front wheel.

I have been told that the part is not %100 correct for my vehicles VIN (makes no sense). The dealership has now had my vehicle for the whole week and are giving me the option of buying a new part or refunding me for the work that was done and putting the broken part back in the vehicle. The whole thing is wrong.

My question to you is what do you think would be causing this issue? The computer seems to have no problem with the other wheels just the front left. Is it as simple as a speed sensor issue? If anyone has experience with ABS activating please reach out.

Thank you

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe try talking directly to Toyota Canada. There is a warranty extension on this aspect of the brakes. Quick read of this, not sure if you qualify, being 2012 model year, but you're definitely within the qualifying period, judging by the notification we got for our 2010. If you qualify, it should not cost you a cent, and should be new parts.

IMG_2325.JPG

#2 Mendel Leisk, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
  3. Austinv

Austinv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Thank you for the reply, I have had two calls with Toyota Canada and they have not mentioned this recall. I looked up my VIN and there are no recall notices for my vehicle.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, two things ...

1. It isn't a recall, it's a warranty extension, which means it's in force if your car develops the specific problem it covers, but they don't just haul you in to have it done regardless.
    2. If that's the Canadian version of the ZJB warranty extension here, the specific problem it covers involves an internal leak in the hydraulic portion of the assembly. They won't necessarily apply it to what seems like an electrical problem in the attached ECU. On the other hand, maybe they will, just to avoid a scene of explaining to a customer that not all malfunctions in the same assembly are the same problem.

I've now heard about this couple-the-speed-pulse-onto-the-hazard-flashers failure a few times now, so maybe it is enough of a thing that they should think about giving it its own warranty extension.