1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, brake and traction control lights on, $3600 to replace the brake pump and cylinder?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jaydoc, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all

My 2010 Prius with 180k miles on it has had regular maintenance done at a nearby Toyota dealership. Recently it had an issue with an oil leak that cost me $2000 or so to get taken care of.

Two days ago I was driving during a thunderstorm and the ABS, brake and traction control warning lights came on and the brakes just didn't feel right after that. So I took the car in to the dealership and they are telling me that the car is "undrivable" and needs to have the brake pump and cylinder replaced, for a total cost of $3600.

I bought this car for $9000 4 years ago and it has held up well so far, except that oil leak and now this.
    I am not sure if I should

a) Do the repairs at the dealership

b) Get the car towed to another place for a second quote

or

c) Just sell the car for a pittance and get another newer used car!

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you paid the dealership for diagnosis, they should have given you the diagnostic information they retrieved from the car's computers. If you could post it here, we might have better advice.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    D) Check if this is covered by zjb.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    head gasket is next. when looking for a used car, due diligence is of utmost importance

5. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    C1391 accumulator malfunction was what the diagnostics showed according to the tech there. Not sure if this is something covered by any recall.

6. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How do I contact Toyota about this? Thanks.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can read the "customer support program details" here yourself, compare the the year, mileage, and trouble code(s) present on your car, and have a pretty good idea from that whether it's worth following up with a dealer.

8. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  9. Krall

Krall Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had that with the big yellow caution light which I chose to ignore. Eventually it was like trying to stop a Fred Flinstone vehicle, very much seat of your pants.

The dealer wanted a similar ransom amount. Luckily I was referred to a mechanic who did a little research and found he could use the parts from a used 2011 or 2012 which and an improved version of those parts. It was like $1200.

I think there was a bulletin at the time so he had me call customer care to see if they’d cover it. They wouldn’t, but if I remember they recently did a recall on the issue for 2010s.