1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS & Brake Dash Lt. on after changing frt. Brk Pads

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Philip Moreau, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Philip Moreau

Philip Moreau New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello and thank anyone who may have a solution. This is my first thread ever on PriusChat.
    I have changed out front disk pads on my Gen 2 2005 Prius with over 256k miles at least three times and am very methodical.. taking care to not cause stress to the flexible brake line and ABS cable/ sensors.

As typical I used a wide jaw vice grip to slowly compress the caliper piston back to fully retracted position.
    After changing out the pads and rotors and reassembling I started the car to test the brakes. Immediately the ABS and Brake Dash Indicator lights illuminated and stayed illuminated. I did put the car back up in the air and removed and cleaned the ABS sensors. I am thinking that compressing the caliper piston caused this issue because its the only thing that may have effected the hydraulics.
    The ABS fuses are fine. I am heading to Autozone for a diag. If anyone has a idea I sure would be very appreciative for your help.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you disconnect the 12 volt, for duration of the work? It's good practice to:

1. Disconnect 12 volt neg cable before doing anything.

2, When everything is reassembled pump brake pedal several times, to firm up the pedal.

3, Then and only then, reconnect 12 volt neg cable.

Maybe where you are now:

1. Drive for a day or two, do multiple start up and shut down. This may dismiss the codes/lights, if they're ok now.

2. If warnings persist, try disconnect and reconnect of 12 volt neg cable.

3. If warnings persist, time to get codes read.

The reasoning behind disconnecting the 12 volt:

1. If you've pushed in the piston to accommodate new pads, there's likely excess a little free space. When you next start up the car and press the brake pedal, it may detect excess pedal travel, "throw" a code and lights.

2. Does second gen pressurize the system when driver's door is opened? That's one very good reason to disconnect: if that pressurizing happens when the caliper's off the rotor, it can ruin your day.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Post the codes when you have them. (The ECU can blink them for you on dash lights, any time you're caught without a scan tool handy.)

Mendel Leisk likes this.