1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Brake Fluid leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by skyfield, Oct 10, 2007.

1. skyfield

skyfield New Member

Please advise:

My abs trac actuator is leaking. The dealership quoted me $1950.44 for the part alone. The part number is 44050-47020. I have found the part for $770, but that is still a ton of money and then I must pay labor. Why must this be so expensive? I understand that brake fluid is very corrosive and that I need to get this fixed and not just add brake fluid...although the leak must be slight because I haven't had to add fluid since about 1 month ago. A month ago, the dealer added brake fluid and the emergency brake light didn't come on for weeks. About a week ago, it started coming on again intermittantly, but the fluid level is OK.

Anyway, I am not even sure what I am asking here...I guess is there anything I can a short of shelling out ~$1000 to fix this?

Thanks.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If it's leaking from inside (not from a fitting) it's a sign of imminent failure. Something is worn out and about to fail. I can't predict if it will fail to no brakes, but that is possible. Better get it replaced. Sorry for the bad news.

The labour will also be rather expensive. There is a lot of bleeding to be done when this part is replaced. Even before you have to bleed to pay for it. ;)