1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS kicking in randomly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BlzzPrl2010, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BlzzPrl2010

BlzzPrl2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey guys new to the forum.

Anyways, the weather just got nicer these past few days and I gave the 2010 under body a good rinse. I guess water got onto the passenger side front ABS/Speed sensor cause the next day the ABS, stability control, and some other light(related to brakes) lit up.

The light went away today, but now whenever I hit an uneven road surface(cracks, gravel, potholes etc) while braking I can hear the ABS pump start doing its thing.

So like I said, the light went away(sensor probably dried up). Could my sensor still be faulty?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anti-skid Braking System might be coming on 'cause there's an actual brake problem, ie: one or more of the brakes is not performing properly. I'd get it checked.

I recently got the brakes "professionally" bled on a Civic, and they handed the car back to me with one of the rear brakes completely hooped, not activating. Subsequently, anytime I'd try to come to a stop, say at an intersection's broad white stop line, I'd end up 4 or 5 feet beyond it, with the anti-lock brakes going nuts, and a strange rocking motion to boot, due to the uneven braking effort.

Took it back, asap, raised hell. ;)

I'm rambling.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Are your tires pumped up to max pressure? If so that might be a contributing factor when rolling over loose surfaces and or bumps, potholes, etc.. Picture an overinflated basketball, it wants to bounce and bounce. Maybe back off a couple psi and see how that goes.

I have mine set to 44f/42r, which is not even max but slightly higher than the average of 40/38 that most use for a good medium of mpg and comfort, and have noticed the abs kicking in momentarily going over nasty stuff while braking.

If you are set to factory settings then its something else..