1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abs light on and bad fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wisdom, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get 32mpg at best in my 2008 prius 250k miles .
    Abs and vsc lights on but there is no problems with the brake , i hear abs knocking sound when parked.
    My question: is there a connection between abs failure and fuel consumption ?
    Brake pads feel realy hot after a short trip (less than 7miles) so is this caused by the faulty abs or other problem in the brake (pads,discs ,.....)
    Or is it normal to be hot .

Is it ok not to replace the abs because i dont have money to change the abs atm ?
    Please help:unsure:!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    put it on a lift and spin the wheels. if one is different, you might need a hub

Wisdom likes this.
  3. combsn

combsn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have actually just experienced this similar problem on my gen 2 (2005 with 220k miles on it). Going over everything i was assuming it was the hub assembly. It actually turned out to be drivers side front caliper was sticking. After replacing them (i just did both at the same time so i knew the other one wouldn't end up sticking a few months down the line (could be longer but meh). After that i was back to 45-47 MPG. Do both sides feel hot or just one?

bisco likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could just jack up a wheel at a time and spin it also. ;)