1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS light on and break going to hard what to do any suggestion????

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by ranaawaisjaved, Oct 9, 2016.

1. ranaawaisjaved

ranaawaisjaved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Prius 2007 1500cc

iPhone ?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You can use the 'Report' button to ask a moderator to move this thread from the forum about website questions to the forum about Generation 2 Prius care and maintenance. You'll get more responses there.

Then, the first suggestion ought to be: your ABS warning light is on, so that means your brake computer knows there is a problem, and it wants to tell you what the problem is. Using a code reader, such as they have at the dealership, you can find out what it is trying to tell you about the problem. The next step is to follow the troubleshooting steps that go with whatever code(s) it is reporting, to pin down just what's causing the problem, and then fix that.

There'll probably be some suggestions to skip all that diagnosis stuff and just throw a part at it (the more expensive the part and more labor needed to replace it, the better) and if you can afford to approach it that way, that can (eventually) work, too.

You can feel a problem with the brakes, so you know the computer isn't imagining it, and they are your brakes, so the most important thing is to get started right away on having the problem found and fixed.

-Chap

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've had brake warnings, together with "check hybrid system" warning, plus a return-to-defaults feel to the brakes: braking seem a bit weak, took more effort.

I took it into the dealership, they read/recorded/dismissed codes, and it was back to normal. Well, apart from my wallet being $79 lighter, lol.

This has happened 3 times, and the last I talked directly with the mechanic, who noticed an intermittent disconnect of the OBD plug. He was thinking it might be my ScanGauge constantly plugged in, weighing on it, suggested I leave it off for a trial, see if that helped.

I took his advice, and 6 months later no further incidents. So yeah, might just be an intermittent communication problem.