1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS/SKID CONTROL ECU Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Thank you whitebait, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Thank you whitebait

Thank you whitebait New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi there,

My partner's Prius is bring up the red warning triangle. She had a system diagnostic carried out, which brought up these two faults:

C1241 Low Battery Positive Voltage
    C1300 ABU ECU Malfunction

The faults were reset, but it was only a short matter of time, before the red triangle reappeared. My partner tells me this tends to happen more frequently when she is steering left and in colder weather.

She was advised the ABS ECU will need to replaced (it does says "new actuator" on the paperwork, so I'm assuming this means the same thing?)

I have looked at some of the previous threads and note many of these problems stem from the 12V battery. My partner tells me this was replaced only last year. I wondered if it was possible the battery may be still the problem?

I just wanted to get some advice from other owners as to whether these error codes would point to the ABS ECU needing be replaced, as this is quite an expensive job (being a female who knows little about cars, I know some garages will try to take advantage...).

I was also wondering where the ABS ECU is located on the vehicle and if it is easily accessible, so I can find out the part number/serial number. I have noted some for sale on ebay, but the part numbers seem to vary....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many miles on her? i can't really help, but it's always worth checking the 12v and it's connections before moving on to the higher fruit. all the best!(y)

Thank you whitebait likes this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The codes you reported do not point directly to the actuator, which is different from the ECU and much more expensive. The ECU on a car in North America is under the dashboard near the steering column. They are available used here for about US$50. To find the correct part number, I use this site. It will ask for your VIN to make sure you have the correct part number.

C1241 trouble areas include the two ABS relays, wiring harness, power supply circuits, and the hybrid control system. 12 Volt fuses, relays, and wiring should probably be checked out first.

Actuators have been know to fail on these cars and it's possible the mechanic sees other symptoms pointing to that.

Thank you whitebait likes this.
  4. Thank you whitebait

Thank you whitebait New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi there,

Thank you. She has done around 76K miles. I will make sure we check the battery voltage first. Again something I've not done before, can that be done with a household ammeter? Or is this a job for an electrical engineer? (Sorry if that sounds like daft question....)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not at all. you need a simple volt meter, very inexpensive. pop the hood in the evening, and the next morning, check the voltage at the jump point in the fuse box the next morning, without opening any doors. the static voltage should be 12.4 or better. anything less, and the battery is starting to go flat. as i say, it's not likely, but it's an easy check. if it's good, move on to andrews advice above.