1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abs,Traction Control and Brake light on.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Longislanderic, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Longislanderic

Longislanderic New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. My Abs, Traction Control and Brake light have come on. I've looked on here and I know about the sensor issues. This problem happed last year but went away after winter was done. It came back at the end of January. Codes said what I already know rear Brake abs. I took it to a local shop I trust and they confirmed what I said. Passenger side rear. That Hub was replaced about 2 or 3 years ago for noise. I bought a replacement and they installed it. The issue went away for 5 days but has now returned. I can't see the same part failing this quickly and no it wasn't a cheap part.
    I'm trying to find out if something else could be causing this issue. I heard that the 12v battery could cause this. It is original to the car and is now 11 years old with 133800 miles on it. Could that be the issue?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i thot the sensors were lil black wired affairs . that can replace seperate from hub . 11 year old 12v deserves at least a load test . in my world replaced quick fast

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are the codes currently (the actual codes, not fortune cookies or paraphrases)?

If there is a code for a wheel speed sensor signal, then there is a troubleshooting procedure in the repair manual (more info) for pinning down what the cause is. Naturally, it doesn't have to be the sensor itself, it can be an issue with the connectors or wiring. That's what the troubleshooting procedure will help to sort out.

The skid ECU has a special test mode (also in the repair manual) where it makes extra demanding tests of the wheel speed sensors, and can report extra trouble codes that it never reports in normal operation. Any time a wheel bearing is replaced, the final step of replacement in the repair manual is to go through that test mode, to make sure the new bearing and sensor don't just happen to kind of pass at the moment, but really pass the extra-strict test mode. If somebody swaps a wheel bearing but skips that last step, the job was never quite completely done.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    When cheap bearings are installed anything is possible

5. Longislanderic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't remember the original codes from before the hub was replaced. There were 3 codes total. 1 was left rear sensor signal. 1 was right rear sensor signal. And the last was right rear senor "metal on stick". That last one apparently means the sensor is dirty. I took it to a local mechanic that I have used many times and I trust. They confirmed what autozone said but only right side error codes.
    I had it scanned yesterday and they found no codes since the lights have shut off. They now elsewm to go on and off randomly. For example. Turn the car on with them off then they will turn on down the road. Turn the car on with them on and they will turn off.
    However today the issue suddenly became worse as ABS is now kicking in randomly at stopping. Since this is happening randomly and the lights turn off as soon as I go for a scan I'm just going to buy a live ABS data scan tool.
    Besides the part is still warranty. And I'm curious to see if it's the left starting to fail (like the original scan said) or if it's the battery or the new part.
    Besides the new scan tool I'm getting also checks each hybrid battery cell so I figure that will come in handy in the future.

6. Longislanderic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the problem. Driverside rear ABS speed sensor is now starting to fail. For whatever reason the mechanics scanner and Autozones second scan failed to see this code. I will buy a new hub bearing and replace it.