1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, ((!)), Traction Lights on after snow chains

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by marc b, Mar 7, 2017.

1. marc b

marc b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2011 Prius IV
    Approx 75,000 miles
    Great condition, never any issues...great car!

I drove down from Big Bear to Los Angeles on a snowy Sunday, I put snow chains on for a good portion of the drive down the mountain. The drive with the chains was fine and relatively slow. Although at one point it sounded as though there was a loose wire dangling inside of the left wheel well. The sound went away after about a minute, but the ABS, ((!)), Traction lights came on and did not turn off (they are still on). When it was safe to pull over I did and I removed the chains and continued the drive home without a problem. Note - the chains were intact and did not appear to have come loose during the drive. Like I said, I continued the drive back home to Los Angeles without a problem and the car continues to drive fine to this day.

The following day I looked behind the left wheel and I noticed a severed wire, which I suspect is the sensor wire/s for ABS, ((!)), Traction Lights.

If this is indeed the case, can I purchase the wire harness for this and replace it myself? Or is this something that requires a visit to the dealer? To replace, reset, calibrate? Or can a DIYer take care of this and save some money.

Any and all input is appreciated.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Just solder it and cover it with shrink wrap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to re-solder the two wires when I replaced by rear wheel bearings a few years ago. The hub fell when I was knocking it out severed the wires. No big deal, just make sure it is sealed well so it won't corrode.

Make sure to carefully inspect the brake lines as well.

Good luck.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    And make sure wires aren't reversed