1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS VCS (!) Airbag light on and strange rattling noise every 7 seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Omid Poornasir, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Omid Poornasir

Omid Poornasir New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum so please bare with me.

I just purchased a 2007 Prius and come to find out I was somewhat scammed? Driving home ABS VCS and (!) light are on and realized somewhere directly behind the battery is making a rattling noise every 7 seconds between intervals.

I did the paper clip trip and jumped pins 4 & 13 to get rid of the lights which they have gone away although the noise won't go away.

When I press the brake pedal in between the noise the noise seems to go away or change its beat.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The rattling noise sounds like the brake actuator. It is under the hood, on the right side of the firewall. It should normally happen after you press the brake pedal a couple of times. If it happens more frequently, it's failing.

Next time the ABS light comes on, do not reset it and bring it to a dealership. You may be eligible for a brake actuator replacement under a new warranty enhancement program.

This may be a serious issue, affecting life safety, so verify and fix it as soon as you can.

Welcome to the forum, but I don't think anyone here will bare with you. We will bear with you, though. English can be funny that way.