1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, VSC, and ((!)) lights illuminated

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by german_caveman, Dec 3, 2023.

1. german_caveman

german_caveman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All,

I’ve been a reader of these forums for a few years now. They helped me make a number of small-ish, mostly mechanical repairs myself, such as replacing the 12V battery, a door accentuator and the rear hatch handle. This is my first time posting. A little background about my Prius:

It’s a 2006 Prius. I purchased it in November 2019 with 110k miles. It now has 125k miles. Since purchase, I made the aforementioned repairs and had the car in the shop to replace the muffler (rusted) and catalytic converter (stolen) and get some blocks of the HV battery pack serviced. Aside from these repairs, I haven’t had to do anything to the vehicle aside from oil changes, tire rotations, and filter changes.

A week ago*, my wife noticed the red “BRAKE” light on – she doesn’t recall whether she unintentionally engaged the parking brake but when she called me, I instructed her to make sure to release the parking brake and she drove home. When I inspected the car the next morning, the red brake light was on as well as the ABS, VSC, and ((!)) lights. Here’s what I have done so far (in this order):
    • Read out error codes via the paperclip method:
      • ABS: 42 --> per the same post: “just means there are also codes on the ((!)) (ECB) light, go look at those.”
      • VSC: 45 --> per the same post: “just means there are also codes on the ((!)) (ECB) light, go look at those”
      • ECB / ((!)): --> 65 --> DTC C1344/65: MALFUNCTION IN HYDRAULIC SYSTEM (RL)
    • Checked the 12V battery:
      • 11.4V @ Ready
      • 14V @ ACC
    • Checked the break fluid reservoir and it's filled
    • Drove the car: no noticeable abnormal behavior
    • Cleared the codes (via the paperclip-pump-the-break-method) and drove:
      • no noticeable abnormal behavior
      • lights have stayed off so far
    So my question is, does anyone have any insight as to what may have caused all those lights on my dashboard to illuminate? I’m obviously quite nervous to drive the car and lose power to the brakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

* I tried to post this thread the day the incident happened but wasn't able to sign up/ verify my email due to the server migration. Great to see that this got resolved, thank you!!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes more than likely when you get a capable scan tool or have somebody that does have one you'll find out you have low brake pressure accumulator or low pressure in the brake accumulator and pump assembly so on and so forth and it's actually about time year-wise not mileage wise but more than likely that's been my experience so far in about 4 or 5 of these that I've owned I've got one right now I'm in the middle of changing the actuator on as we speak similar scenario similar lights on probably similar codes.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The low-pressure-in-accumulator code might be one that lots of people get, but it wasn't involved in this story. The only code was the C1344, about problems holding a steady pressure in the rear left brake.

As the OP saw, "all those lights" really just mean that's the way the car works: there was one trouble code, C1344, detected by the ECB logic, and the ABS and VSC lights came on at the same time with their codes for "go look at your ECB code", as they are set up to do.

The troubleshooting steps for C1344 can be found in the repair manual:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It