1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS VSC lights leading to he said, he said

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amkilpat, Oct 31, 2013.

1. amkilpat

amkilpat Junior Member

About 2 weeks ago I took my 2005 Prius, 75,000 mi, to a tire shop for tires and alignment. They couldn't do the alignment because I needed the left front wheel bearing hub replaced. I had the tire shop do that and the alignment. Abt. $450

2 days ago, the first time I got up to speed on the interstate after that, the ABS VSC lights came on when I got up to about 63 mph and then were on intermittently. I read on this forum that might mean it's time to change the 12v battery. I took it to the Toyota dealer who said they got some low voltage readings and recommended the new 12v battery. Abt. $280.

Yesterday, the same lights came on in the same circumstances. Took it back to Toyota, waited most of the day for a phone call. The Toyota service guy says whoever changed the wheel bearing hub damaged the "reluctor wheel on axle" by maybe prying on it and breaking a tooth. $56 for diagnosis, (would be $365 to repair with after market part).

Took the car back to the tire shop. Of course, they have doubts. They look at it today and say there's nothing wrong with the reluctor wheel but an ABS sensor needs to be replaced. Although that has nothing to do with their previous repair, they will fix it Monday.

What do I believe? Tire shop took things apart and sees no damage to the reluctor wheel. Toyota says you can see the damage without taking it apart.

Also, apparently the ABS brakes are not working now. Is it safe to drive?

Thanks for your input.

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is safe to drive, people drove without abs for 75 years or so. Just be a bit careful all the time and very careful when it is wet until it is fixed.

This is the time to ask the techs to take you out to the service bay and show you.