1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!), ABS, VSC lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LuvHatePrius, Aug 17, 2016.

1. LuvHatePrius

LuvHatePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello experts,

(!), ABS, VSC lights lit up on my 2006 Prius with 105k miles. They disappeared next day. But, they still show up on IG-ON mode.

Fault codes: C1311, C1313, U0123, U0124, U0126.
    (!) blink/flash codes: 11, 13, 36

Checked the 12v battery. Seems good. It's about 12.1v.

Checked ABS relays. Passed my test using instructions on youtube (but, I've never tested them before. So, can't trust my test :( )

So, what do you think the problem is? Do I've to replace the Skid Control ECU or the brake actuator?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#1 LuvHatePrius, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is normal, it is to prove the lights work. The only light that does not illuminate in IG-ON mode is the Master Warning Light (the red triangle with the exclamation mark inside).

Your DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) do not indicate a problem with the ABS, why are you checking it?

The "C" codes point to a problem with the master relay. The "U" codes point to network problems.

This is presumably with the car off??, yes. Then this is not very good as it indicates your 12 V is essentially flat.

Take a voltage reading with the car in IG-ON with your headlights on, if the battery is flat, but essentially healthy it should settle at a voltage and be able to hold it 3 or more minutes. If the voltage just continually drops, the battery needs to be replaced. Stop the test if the voltage drops below 10 V. If the voltage stabilises and holds, charge the battery up with a 4 Amp AGM battery charger for 24 hours and see what the voltage settles at after the charger has been removed for 4 or more hours. If it is 12.6 V or more then the battery is good for a while longer. If it is not good, stop wasting your time and replace it now.

Replacing the battery will erase almost all the DTCs, but you will need to use Techstream to reset the ABS DTCs and any others, then see which (if any) DTCs return.

Post any new DTCs and we'll take it from there.

hope this helps.

3. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LuvHatePrius,
    You've obviously got a scanner and are probably using Torque. If you're driving around while scanning this can create communication errors and light ABS, VSC lights. By default Torque will try and auto detect the communication's protocol. You need to set the protocol to ISO 15765-4 CAN 11bit 500k.

A wheel speed sensor going bad can throw break codes as well.

Good luck. Let us know.

4. LuvHatePrius

LuvHatePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all for the responses.

12v battery is holding at 11.6v with the headlight test. And, using Schumacher load tester, it's about 1000 CCA. So, can't complain. It's a 1.5 year old Optima battery. holding up very well so-far.

Aha! I had the obd scanner plugged in. Let me reset the DTC codes over the weekend and see if it ever comes back again.