1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Warning Light Activating When I Hit a Bump while Braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nworden9, Sep 30, 2007.

1. nworden9

nworden9 New Member

Hello,
    I have a 2006Prius with Vehicle Stability. When I hit a bump while braking, the ABS lamp activates (flashes) and the ABS engages. It actually feels like the braking has been reduced while the ABS cycles.

I have had several vehicles with ABS and traction control -- non of the other vehicles were so sensitive.

Is there anything that can be done to make the system less sensitive? or to re-calibrate the system?

I took the vehicle to the local dealer and they said this is to be expected with ABS.

Can someone help me with this?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm assuming you mean the "Slip Indicator" and not the actual "((ABS))" symbol.

Yes, sometimes that happens (you can repeat it by going over a manhole or railway track when the surface is wet).

It's the traction control kicking in (and using the ABS) to prevent the electric motors from overspinning.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, traction control, not VSC. The traction control on the Prius is quiet sensitive, and there is nothing you can do about it except learn to live with it. Toyota has toned it down just a bit, but it's still touchy. The big electric motor has so much low end torque you could spin the tires off without traction control.

Tom

4. nworden9

nworden9 New Member

qbee42, Tideland Prius,
    Thanks for the help.

5. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll just follow up on this thread. I know that alot of owners have commented on how sensitive the various electronic nannies are in the Prius. I have rarely driven in a way that causes the VSC to engage, but when it does while cornering, I was somewhat surprised to find that it will actually increase the amount of steering effort to try to prevent you from decreasing the turn radius.
    The worst two offenders are the ABS and traction control. As we are seeing more wet weather in Northern California, I am reminded from time to time when going over manhole covers while braking, or even the lane divider dots on the road. The brakes are basically disengaged for about 1/2 a second. It can be quite alarming if you are braking to avoid driving into the back of somebody who has suddenly decided to brake hard. The traction control can put you in similarly dangerous situations, such as when pulling out into traffic from a side road. The traction control seems to take even longer to re-engage, and totally cuts power to both front wheels.

I sincerely hope that Toyota works on these systems, if not for the current generation Prius, then for the next generation. I am considering a Toyota Camry Hybrid for a second car, and I am crossing my fingers that it does not suffer the same issues.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pearsonrj @ Oct 24 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]530044[/snapback]</div>
    The VDIM system on the Camry Hybrid is more "aggressive" in the sense that VSC on the Prius allows some sliding before it engages. VDIM corrects you before you even skid so.. in a sense it's aggressive but more transparent (other than the beeps) than VSC.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In most cases, it's probably not what you usually think of as ABS.
    That "braking sag" you're feeling is regen giving up because of
    heavy torque/current blips through the motors and electrics, and
    falling back over to hydraulic brakes. That's not a perfectly
    smooth transition. When you get wheel hop that often accompanies
    said bumps under strong braking torque, the slip light tends to pop
    on for an instant. But until you really start locking up wheels
    with the hydraulics, it isn't ABS in the traditional sense.
    I don't think anyone's figured out a faster way to "reset" the regen
    other than waiting for a bit. Blipping the go-pedal once doesn't
    seem to do it [and is usually not an option in a heavy stop anyways].
    To compensate, get used to the fact that it happens sometimes, avoid
    bumps when possible, decrease braking pressure when going over bumps
    to try and not trigger it, and above all leave plenty of *space* so
    you have the leeway to plan ahead and do all this. The longer and
    gentler you can make regen stops, the more effective capture capacity
    you get from the battery -- lower current == less Peukert effect.
    _H*

8. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alt_fuel @ Sep 30 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]519613[/snapback]</div>
    Funny that you say that your other vehicles weren't as sensitive. I had a '94 Taurus and a '94 Grand Prix that were just as sensitive as the Prius. But they also had this nasty habit of lifting the inside rear wheel off the ground for a split second when making a right turn into a driveway apron (ramp), which would freak out the ABS mightily when it would see that tire "lock up", not realizing it was in the air anyway. In the Grand Prix you mostly just heard ABS chatter but didn't feel much; in the Taurus you almost completely lost all braking for two full seconds while the ABS tried to correct the imaginary skid. I almost wrecked the Taurus once thanks to that issue, despite having gotten so used to it that I could anticipate when it was going to happen.

Now in the Prius, as I've gotten used to it, I find that when I see the right kind of bump coming to cause the issue, I'll brake a little extra right before the bump, let off the brakes for the moment of the bump, and get right back on them on the other side. ABS won't act if you don't have your foot on the brake in the first place, and it only matters for the fraction of a second that the tire(s) skip across the irregular surface..

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I experience the same effect since I boosted the tp to 45psi.