1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Always on..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by leeki4321, Jan 7, 2006.

1. leeki4321

leeki4321 New Member

I just picked up my 06 Prius with package 7 yesterday!! I love the car!

One thing I noticed whenever I switch on the Auto climate control is that AC comes on. Is this normal? I have the temp setpoint up to around 80 but the AC still kick on when I switch to Auto! Is this normal? Perhaps AC is not really on??
    Anyone have the same issue with 05 or the new 06 model?

I'm also waiting for the navigation override sequence for the new 06 model. After searching everywhere on the net and Prius chat, it looks like nobody know yet :-(

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to Priuschat!

The AC icon is really mis-named, it just indicates that you have selected Automatic climate control not that the air conditioner is actually running.

Here is a great link on the climate control system:
    http://www.denso.co.jp/AR-e/1998/TW/climate.html

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you touch the A/C icon again it will go off. The auto function still works but it turns off the A/C compressor so that you just get fresh air unless it gets so hot inside the car that you need the A/C to keep it at the set temp. At least this is how I've been using it and I believe I'm correct. I must confess that if it gets warm inside I leave the A/c on but this is how I use it in the winter. Also another reason I think I'm right is that if the windows get fogged up I turn the A/C function back on and the windows clear up.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I set the temperature at 74 and let the car do its thing to maintaint it. Set it and forget it.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

AC icon is no mis-named. AC is not for cooling only, you are conditioning air when you are blowing hot air or cold air.

6. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If your dealer is willing to change the customizable features on your car with the hand scanner, you can have them set it so that the AC button does not automatically turn on when AUTO A/C is selected.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's in Auto, then it doesn't mean it's on. If the A/C light is on AND you're in AUTO, then the computer will decide when it needs the A/C compressor to run. If you're in AUTO and the A/C is off, then it'll always be off.

Also, A/C isn't just used for cold air. It also acts as a dehumdifier.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just remember that the AC compressor is electric not connected by a belt to the ICE. It runs at variable speeds as needed. Cars with belt driven AC compressors are all on or all off, the Prius is different. You just need to adjust your thinking when driving this car.