1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC and heater help please!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Sophia, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The temp is getting chilly out here in NorCal but the afternoons are still hot. I dont know what I did but the other day when I was driving home I tried to turn the ac on and everytime I tried to blast the ac in my face, the dagnabbit system would change it over to blast it at my feet. argh.

then when I tried to turn the heater on this morning, I couldnt figure out HOW. the outside temp was 61 and all I wanted to do was warm up the inside a little but how does my car know the difference between 75 ac and 75 heater?

Im slowly losing my mind, arent i...

another thing... what is that auto button for? auto for what? I think that may be what caused my ac to keep shifting over to my feet rathe tahn to my face.

help please? can someone direct me to an existing thread regarding ac and heaters or just tell me what I need to do to make it work for me? thanks.

2. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Based on the outside (incoming) air, it tries to calculate what to do with the system to make the inside reach the temperature you've specified. From using mine for a month (I got mine the same week you got yours) I can tell you a few things:

• Setting the inside air temp at or below the outside air temp yields air that is inexplicably always slightly warmer than say, sticking your hand out the window. This leads me to believe that the Prius heats the air a tiny amount. For example, AC off and temp set to LO is warmer than AC on and temp set to 78 (when outside air is 65-70).
    • If you have the heat turned up more than a little, you will need to put the AC on to dehumidify and avoid fogging.
    • For heat, you want to go at least 10 degrees over outside air, with AC off. Increase temp to your liking, if it starts to fog, turn AC on.
    • For cooling, set AC on and temp to between outside temp and 6-8 degrees above outside temp (ex. outside 70, try 76-78). You won't need much cooling except on REALLY hot days. My Prius won't even get TOO hot sitting in the sun, just merely uncomfortable. And the Toyota AC is WAY too efficent, lol :D
    Hope that helps you!

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have discovered, after a lot of trial and error, that the best thing to do is to leave the system in full Auto mode and only adjust the temp setting up or down to get the air direction and fan speed that you want.

This system is a Climate Control system and it works very well if you let it. It is nothing like a manual AC system that most of us are used to and can be frustrating until you learn how to leave it alone and let it work.

4. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree; however, there are times when I would like air blowing in my face, which is at odds with the place to direct the air that the computer thinks is 'most efficient' :rolleyes:

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you set it to Auto, then change only those settings you want changed, the other settings remain in auto. I want dash and feet vents, but leave everything else on auto.

I think that if you use any 'defrost' vents, you also power electric heaters.

6. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On mine, the Auto light goes OFF if I change air direction, but stays ON if I choose Recirc or Outside air...weeeeeird.

I haven't heard about electric heaters, other than the heated back glass.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base