1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC - Auto Temp - Rain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OrlandoGuy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Today was my first day driving in the rain...and I noticed something strange.

When I was driving through rain, it seemed the cabin got warmer. When I cleared the rain, the cabin seemed to get cooler. The temp setting on the AC stayed constant at 75 and the AC was on Auto with recirculating Air.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmm. no I havent yet. I will try to notice next time as I am working now.

3. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Rain ?? Whats that, don't expect to see any around here for the next 3 or 4 months.

4. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Humidity can change the feel of the air -- that would be my first guess.

5. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would suspect that the outside temp dropped with the rain and the auto a/c was trying to compensate for a changed delta temp between inside and outside. Since you had recirculate on (why?) overriding the default a/c settings this resulted in the increase in cabin temp. Just guessing!!

6. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is the first car that I've owned that controlles the humidity. I suspect that the temp feels different when the car changes its settings to control the humidity.

7. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since the OP had auto A/C on with air recirculating on, I would not believe that humidity was in play.

8. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I couldn't notice it, I don't take my Prius out into the rain.
    It hides in the garage where it's safe and warm and .....fuzzy.

No..seriously, I think Jack66 got the answer.

ZC1

9. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK - Thanks for the info -

I had recirc on because I was trying to isolate the problem...if there is a problem by reducing the high humidity air entering the cabin as I entered a rain cell.

Also - I have Llumar window tinting 30% all side and back windows and a strip across the top of the windshield if that may play a part.

The Prius really attempts to control the humidity level? Is there a user setting for that other than the temp setting?

10. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius also senses how much sunlight is coming through the windshield. When driving in full bright sun, the AUTO A/C will blow colder air harder in an attempt to keep up with the amount of heat being added by the sun. When driving under overcast skies, or night, the AUTO A/C will reduce the fan speed and increase the temperature of the air coming from the vents to keep from chilling the passenger compartment too much.

If the vents were blowing directly on you, what you may have felt was the change in the temperature of the air exiting the vents, and not necessarily a change in the average cabin temperature. The AUTO A/C may have adjusted the temperature of the air coming from the vents because of a change in the amount of solar radiation coming through the windshield when driving through the rain.

11. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow....I keep learning how much smarter this car is than I am.

Adjusting air temp based on sunlight/solar radiation - Makes perfect sense for the 'problem' I found.

Thanks

12. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find the auto ac really frustrating. I would rather have a fan switch on the steering wheel. With the fan switch I can control whats needed. The prius fan never goes to low which is where I want it. I can only get moderate low and that comes with a higher then I want temp setting. I never use the auto as it simply does not work for me.