1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC blows cold air even though A/C is disabled

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by andreimontreal, Jun 14, 2024.

1. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any known A/C malfunction issue? It's warm, summer, slightly humid air and my AC is pushing in cold dry air, that is noticeably colder than the outside air.

The A/C button is off and I'm not on Auto mode.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not that I know of I don't spend a lot of time with these but I've owned two and I don't remember any air conditioning being called up just by the car because. You have to turn it on manually pushing buttons etc at least in my 2010 and my 2013 Persona there was not a lot of auto anything going on there is an automatic mode and temperature control and all of that but you say you're complete system is off so your display shouldn't even be showing you temperature or anything so the only thing coming through your vents in the fresh mode should be outside warm slightly humid air as you describe it is outside of your car. So I'm not sure how this has been rigged up or made to happen I don't think the computer could just call up the air conditioner just because unless it is in auto mode and activated then the display will be on with all that HVAC nonsense on the display I do believe hell it's even similar in my generation too when I bring up that screen for the HVAC system if it's off everything on the display is pretty much off and blanked out and nothing happening The only air that will be coming through the vents if I'm in the fresh mode will be outside air from the force that I'm driving through the wind no fan no compressor know anything that's called the Toyota flow through ventilation system it's built into the car Good luck with that I can't wait to hear what the resolve is and what is really going on here.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The front defog setting will silently enable the A/C too.

If you have a scan tool that shows live data, what does it show for A/C Watts at the time you feel cool air coming out?

Brian1954 likes this.