1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Compressor Error 98 CONNECTOR NOT SERVICEABLE.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by johnnychimpo, Nov 1, 2022.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So my AC stopped working checked connections and in the process bent a pin. I figured I could fix it and better to pull the connector and fix it on my work bench than to mess it up in the engine bay. Well went out got E-sockets a #8 took bolts out and pried the connector from the compressor. I found that it was stuck on there because its soldered to the circuit board! Why for the love of god would the put bolts on this thing knowing you cant remove it in any case I broke it and I straightened the connector just to prove a point to myself. Anyway now I need a new compressor they are 70 bucks on ebay and maybe 120 to refill with refrigerant. so first I need to drain old refrigerant so where is the service valve? and where do I put the 4.4 oz of ND-OIL 11.
    Anyone who has done this job if you have any tips I would appreciate.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe the connector they could buy came with mounting holes, and that was the easiest way to mount it.

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly I have a spare compressor but it is for a gen 4 when I upgraded my engine.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's just like the Gen 3 or just like any other car air conditioning system there's nothing really special The gas isn't special they say the oil is I have regular oil in mine it's been running like that for years and it's ice cold I don't use 134a I use enviro temp some folks don't like that that's fine little bit less of the head pressure not as hard on the compressor but it's a very simple setup as far as getting it charged up and running it makes ice cold air if it's even semi-hap hazardly charged In other words somebody without a scale of somebody with just a low pressure side gauge etc etc so at least that's what I found from my '09 to my 13 I can't speak much on above that but they all look the same take the same gas and oil so I would have to say pretty much the same I would guess Good luck with it should go real smooth you shouldn't need to do any massive things If you using enviro temp you don't have to pull a vacuum It helps to suck the gas in but folks will argue that too but I've got four cars running with this stuff and the air conditioners are almost never cracked open maybe once every 10 years even on an engine change I don't crack a compressor open Good luck