1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC compressor no engage?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Flagmaster, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Today, I noticed my windows were fogged up. I engaged the front defogger, and it was painfully slow. On the trip back home it felt a bit muggy so I kicked on LO with ac LED lit on the HVAC controls (prims plus trip, no big screen).

Still seems like the AC compress never came on. Granted the outdoor temperature was 71, but I still felt it should have engaged. On the cluster, I switched over to the energy monitor, and I noticed the little fan icon never showed any power flow arrows to it.

I was in AUTO - EV and hand plenty of EV charge. I was in ECO drive mode as well, did not try any other modes.

If it is still like this tomorrow, I will disconnect the 12v battery for a bit and try a full reset.

Anything else I should try?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Try a different mode;).

3. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Any fuses or relays that control the AC compressor I should be looking for?

4. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nevermind, I found the issue, somehow I popped a 7.5 amp fuse marked "HTR/S1" or something like that. All is well again.

Something to note: If this fuse is bad, factory remote start mode with the fob's AC button actually sorta works, you can hear the car beep, but that's all it will do. No fans run, and I assume heat and AC won't do anything with that fuse blown. However, normal driving, at least the cabin fan comes on and is controllable, but no Air Conditioning and Id assume probably no heat either.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm blowing fuses because I'm working on a self-invented prototype add on, which solves the "shut down on door open" problem with aftermarket remote starts. It's 100% functional with no issues, I'm just having trouble making it fit under the dash without squishing its wires and causing shorts. I'll get it worked out soon.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, so it’s something you did, cause I wouldn’t have suggested look at fuses on a nearly new car without suggesting the dealer and taking advantage of the warranty ;).

Hope your mod is successful for those that want an additional alarm to what already exists(y).

bisco likes this.
  6. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What I love about the factory remote start car alarm:

* It will heat/cool the car using power from the plug.

What I don't like about the factory remote start alarm:

* limited range
    * no two-way confirmation that your signal was received and acted upon
    * 20 min max run time, and even less after that if remote started again
    * hackable with advanced RF relay attack equipment (not very likely tho)
    * horn is not loud as a siren would be.
    * T U R N S O F F A T D O O R O P E N !! Grrrrrrrrr

All aftermarket units solve the range issue, the two-way issue, the limited run-time issue, and the siren issue. BUT none solve the RF-relay attack, and none solve the car turning off at door open. Plus one major negative of an aftermarket one is that it will not remote start the car with the charger spout still hooked up to the car.

I want it all!

* long-range
    * two-way
    * siren
    * RF attack proof
    * long remote start run time
    * remote startable while plugged in
    * starter kill additional anti-theft
    * cools/heats car if plugged in using plug power
    * F U L L T A K E O V E R, just get in and drive away with no shutdowns.

All research shows there is nothing out there that can do all this. Not only that, research shows it's not even technically possible to do all of that, esp the full take over part. The only way would be a major anti-theft risk.

So...

I invented one, and it can do all of that, plus does not risk car security while remote started.

It's still a prototype, but it 100% works now.

Youtube my name for a small preview. While whats public on youtube right now is not a full take over (still stops at brake press) that issue has been solved on this working prototype. (and it was a total pain in the $$$).

As for me causing the blown fuse--yes for sure, I think I understand now how that happened. It was when installing my device, in the dash and trying to cram it in there. It tore some of my tape, exposing a wire to ground that is related to that same module in the car.

I'll put up a full demo on youtube as soon as I can, just waiting on some patent stuff before attorney says its ok to go fully public with it.