1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC compressor noisy - repair shop est $2K, but does not recommend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jim Nagle, May 1, 2019.

1. Jim Nagle

Jim Nagle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The AC in our 05 Prius with 205K miles recently stopped working ie it doesn't blow cold air.

Took it to a local repair shop and they said the compressor was noisy and wanted
    to know if I had messed with it which I had not.

The said the repair was roughly $2K and that they did NOT recommend doing it.
    I wasn't shocked by the cost as I figured it would be very expensive if it did need
    any hardware but I was a little surprised when they turned down the opportunity
    to do an expensive repair. I think I'll call them back and get details as I was not
    in a good position to talk when I spoke with them about their diagnosis.

In the meantime, I'd be curious to hear comments from any of our resident experts.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe just because of the value of the car, or because they can't be sure of the fix

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    WOW. An honest repair shop ??
    Naw, it couldn't be that. :confused:

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would be wary of a "local shop" diagnosis of a Prius AC system. I understand they said they felt the compressor was noisy, but how many electric, inverter driven AC compressors have they listened to? Not saying they're wrong, just be wary. Many people have had AC systems worked on that didn't need it. One of the early signs of inverter cooling water pump failure is AC system problems. I've replaced 2 ICWPs over the last few months and both owners were complaining about AC problems. New Toyota ICWP and AC problems all gone....

Fern1461 and jerrymildred like this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^Yup^

Make sure they are experienced with hybrids. When the compressor quit on my PiP, I got a used one for $100 and a local A/C shop with hybrid skills installed it for $200.