1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC failure, HEAT failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 4plasticfish, Nov 23, 2010.

1. 4plasticfish

4plasticfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am new to this forum so sorry if this is posted somewhere but I cant find it. I have a 2005 Prius. Today, after filling up with gas, the heat and AC along with front defroster stopped working. All the displays work, controls all work, but nothing happens when it says it is on. The fan does not blow at all on any setting, hot or cold. I appreciate any and all help.

Also, how do you reset the computer on a Prius? Can you disconnect the 12 volt battery, or use an Can OBD scanner to reset?

My 12 volt battery is original by the way.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you half know the answer. I'm sure many on here will want to know what fault codes the car has thrown, but the 12v battery is a weak spot on the Prius, apparantly with an average life of about 4 - 5 years.

I suppose it's upto you whether you fit a new 12v and see if that solves your problems as it might be prudent to change it at 5 years old anyhow (if it hasn't faulted yet, it soon will). However, if the problem lies somewhere else, you don't want to be throwing money at a car that might have a more serious problem somewhere else.

1 person likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Then stop getting gas!*

+1 on checking the battery first thing.

*apologies to Henny Youngman

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. It is likely that the blower motor needs to be replaced.

2. Prius has multiple ECUs. Most of them will reset if you disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal. A couple (SRS and skid control) have a trickier process that involves using a jumper on the OBD-II socket.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could it be a fuse? :huh:

6. 4plasticfish

4plasticfish New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, a little more info, so the blower has come on a couple of times the past two days. Most of the time it does nothing even though the heat is on. All of the controls and MFD screen settings appear to work as usual. It does not blow on front defrost, heat, AC floor or panel settings.

I checked the 12v battery with the MFD signal check and it seems ok at 12.1 volts unloaded and 11.8 with a small load.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a similar problem that they resolved?

I just know if I go to the dealer I will be buying a new blower and the install for that looks pretty labor intensive. I wonder what that would cost?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You need a new blower motor. I recall one or two posts that explain what is involved to replace it. My guess is that your dealer will charge you ~$500 to replace it.

2. I suggest that you buy a new 12V battery soon since your area has fairly cold winters and it appears that your existing battery is near end-of-life.