1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Freon leak - Serpentine Belt any connection?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ZitterZap, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am posting this separately from my battery replacement story here.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...0-miles-hybrid-battery-replacement-story.html

Recently I got the following three things done on my 2005 Prius

• HV Battery Replacement
    • Serpentine Belt Replacement
    • Work on Front Brakes including rotor resurfacing

I drove off my mechanic's parking lot and noticed that the AC wasn't cooling. Brought the car back to the mechanic and this morning he told me that there was no Freon in the AC and he has recharged it as well as put some fluorescent dye to check if there is a leak.
    I will be getting the car back today evening.

But is there any connection between any of these jobs and the leak?
    Could it be possible that someone might have bumped some tools while replacing the serpentine belt into the AC system?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your AC is electric. There is no connection to the serpentine belt which drives the engine cooling loop.

JeffD

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yeah it's possible, but nearly impossible to prove unless there's very obvious damage to the coolant lines, I'd think.

4. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like from your other thread that this shop is well versed in the Prius. I sure hope that is true and that they knew the proper coolant to use as the Prius requiers a special type given that it an electric compressor and not a mechanical one.

5. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup they know that. They follow Toyota manuals. I got my condenser coil and dryer replaced a year ago by them had no issues with the AC until now. The problem then was that a stone hit the condenser coil and created quite a big leak.

I think I am looking at a similar problem right now.

Currently driving the car AC is blowing cold. Will need to bring the car back to the shop when the AC stops blowing cold and they will figure out where the leak is from.