1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ac not very strong

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tdubb, Sep 30, 2012.

1. tdubb

tdubb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my 2010 prius 3 ac is not cooling ver well. I am not sure if thats the way it is. what to do? It i cooling but not very cold

2. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are in the Eco driving mode, you might not be getting full AC potential. Try the power mode to see if you get more cold air.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you are in ECO mode, turn it off. If it still does not cool well, get it checked out.

4. tdubb

tdubb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes I am always in eco mode. you mean try normal mode or power mode?

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Try normal. ECO will take it down a notch.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, have you set the temperature down to a lower value, if your vehicle allows that?

7. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius A/C is quite specific. I had the same feeling at the beginning. One thing is ECO mode. While this mode is activated maximum output power (and maximum fan speed) are trimmed down to conserve energy, especially on short trips. If you feel that you need to cool down fast switch to normal mode (A/C efficiency is the same in normal and power modes).
    Another thing is when you have set A/C for example at 23 deg C and the in-car temperature is 25 deg C but you feel that fresh air or short cool air blow is needed, especially in spring or autumn. Then you have to step down temp 2 - 3 degrees for short time and then set them back to desired temperature.

If you set A/C to LO with A/C light ON and normal mode and still feel that it is not cooling as it should have it checked. A/C subsystem should be checked for leaks every two years. Maybe your is depressurised and not working effectivly (which may also damage A/C compressor due to lack of lubrication).

Mine did great job cooling down the car in the middle of the day (33 deg C outside) within 5 - 6 minutes to 24 degrees. Cold air was blowing from vents 30 seconds after start and working compressor was clearly hearable (much louder than ICE warmup).

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found I can typically offset ECO by dropping the A/C temp 1-2°. Only at max demand would you still notice a decrease (1 speed from max on the blower, and unless really hot, 150W less A/C compressor power).

PWR mode isn't required to increase A/C output - simply turn off ECO by pressing ECO a 2nd time.