1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Oil Charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vertex, Sep 13, 2009.

1. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was at my local auto parts store this morning and I noticed that you can now purchase hybrid oil charge cans made by AC Pro for about $8.00. This is the way to go if you need to add oil to your AC, or if you need to recharge the system, rather then buying a larger bottle of oil for $35, as I did recently.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can we be certain that it really is compatible with the compressor motor electricals? Switching from Toyota could be false economy.

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OK, skeptics abound.
    Here is a link where compatability is specified.

Certified A/C Pro Automotive A/C Compressor Oil from Interdynamics Inc.

from the link:

IDQ offers the Certified A/C Pro Automotive A/C Compressor Oil, a synthetic dielectric-formula lubricant specifically designed for use in electric or belt/electric compressors found in many hybrid vehicle A/C systems. Available in 7 oz. pourable bottles and 3 oz. pressurized oil-charge cans, graphics this oil offers compatibility with Toyota's ND-11 and Honda's 38899RCJA01 OE compressor lubricants.

Good enough for me.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And will they pay for any repairs if necessary? Call me a skeptic if you must but somehow I doubt that they would make good on Toyota's warranty.

5. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ID is not a fly by night outfit. I am sure they will stand behind their claims. I am also sure Toyota will gladly take your money for their over priced products. The choice is yours, but now at least you have options.

Sammydog likes this.
  6. nthach

nthach New Member

ID does make those infamous death kits, which have been known to kill compressors and plug up AC lines and dryer/receivers.

I'd stick to the OEM Toyota oil. Hybrid HVAC works like your home's HVAC system with a hermetically-sealed compressor - and the lube oil is in constant contact with the motor windings as the motor and compressor are not separately encased. If you opened up a compressor for stationary HVAC or refrigeration - except a recip one, you can see the compressor mechanism and the naked motor that runs it. Hence the reason for a POE oil - PAGs have a slight tendency to conduct electricity and are much more hygroscopic.

7. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, sounds like a skull and cross bones is on that kit.

We know why this is special oil, but there are other oils around besides the Toyota stuff, and I have it in my car from CarQuest, works fine.

8. nthach

nthach New Member

I'm thinking Emkarate RL POE oil can work in this application - however, Nu-Calgon/Johnstone/Grainger only stocks the ISO 32/46/68 viscosities - and who knows what Denso specs for viscosity.

For the record, I have some ID PAG46 oil in a beater van we have - I have no problems with their virgin oils without the sealers and o-ring conditioners.

9. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's interesting. I know that Steve Woodruff uses the CarQuest stuff, and I used it based on his recommendation. Since he does lots of cars, it should be OK.
    I haven't used the ID product, but if I didn't have a nearly full bottle of the CarQuest oil, and I needed to add oil, I would have used the ID charge. If anyone uses the ID oil charge, let us know your experience.