1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Klim0k

Klim0k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi-

I have an AC problem with a 06 prius, gen 2. It was involved in an accident and had to be refilled. R1342 was used to fill it up. It worked for about a year and then stopped working (ac blows hot air). I had it tested by a friend who has the ac compression houses. The high port showed low pressure, and the low showed high (opposite of what it's supposed to be). The ac guy didn't know how to diagnose this. I don't know if the compressor went out or what this could mean. Any help would be appreciated.

Symptoms:
    At 15 degrees C outside temp: When AC is turned on, the compressor turns on and the AC blows somewhat cold air.

When outside temps increase, the AC blows warm air.

2. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Ceased TXV? Leak on the Condensor side? What I need is the absolute pressure values. The low side should be around 0.5mpa whilst the high should be 3mpa (during operation)

3. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

There is a lot of stuff concerning this issue on the forum. There are some who believe that if not properly filled with the correct refrigerant as well as correct oil that problems will develop down the road. I did not experience your issue but did have the situation where at 104,000 the unit stopped putting out cold air except when first started. The dealership topped off the refrigerant but that did little to fix the issue. I could hear the compressor working hard in that the noise had increased. I wondered about the noise. It is not often the car is running and I am out in front of the car listening for strange noises. So I was not sure. I kept reading everything I could on the forum and decided the best thing to do was take it back to the dealer and have them do the full diagnostic. They came back and said it was the compressor. Not cheap, I considered doing the work myself but then asked Toyota through the service department to see if they could help (we purchased new) They agreed to assist and I had the compressor changed out and that cured the problem. In the process I checked the front fans, and air conditioning amplifier, all were ok. Good luck, it is a fairly complex system.

4. Klim0k

Klim0k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will have to do a retest to get the exact values. I don't know how the TXV should operate but I remember when I first had the refregant filled, then there was a consistant pattern of what sounded like bursts of air being released periodically, now I don't hear anything anymore. I'm not sure if there is a leak, how can I check this?

5. Klim0k

Klim0k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just did a hearing test and I can hear the compressor running. However, the compressor is easily heard even with the hood down so Im wondering if I'm experiencing the same symptoms you were. Is there a way to test the AC compressor? Also, how did you test the AC amplifier?

6. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    The quick way the mechanics check is by injecting a small amount of dye into the system. You can then see the leak location. Proper tools for ac systems is pretty important but you do need to be licensed.