1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Propulsion E-Box tested by Autoweek

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by darelldd, Apr 21, 2007.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...18009/1007/FREE

"From the time gm crushed the last EV1, there has been precious little in the way of electric vehicles available for the average consumer. All that changed last month, when AC Propulsion delivered its first eBox to actor Tom Hanks."

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good article. Now let's get the price down. Then it's go time. The major mfgs will have no choice but to start producing EVs if one of these small times can generate even modest volume.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My only "yea but"....
    As tested: $71,610

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good article.

Economies of scale (or rather, lack thereof) explain the high price, with a planned production of 20 conversions for the coming year.

I do think it is hideously ugly, though. My new Xebra is going to be klunky, but kind of cute.

5. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [qutoe]Economies of scale (or rather, lack thereof) explain the high price, with a planned production of 20 conversions for the coming year.[/quote]
    Yup - Imagine how much it would cost to hand build ONE Prius, for example. Ouch. How about taking a Yaris and CONVERTING it to a Prius. Could you do that for under $100k? I sure don't think so!

Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. I've even come around - I don't think that the Prius is the ugliest car on the road any longer!

Anyway, it is what it is - and it just goes to show what CAN be done by a very small company that actually WANTS to do this. Just imagine how good it could be if it were designed as an EV from the ground up... by a big car maker with limitless funds. If the Prius could be brought to market at the $20k price-point, there's no reason that something like this would be too much different given the same quantities. For these, the car has to be purchased complete, and then you add labor just to tear out all the ICE crap and throw it away - before you even begin to add back all the expensive pieces of the E-drive.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 21 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]427297[/snapback]</div>
    I do appreciate that, but wanted to point out the thing that everyone/every nay-sayer is going to look at and point out.

I think it would be awesome to see a new American car company evolve with a focus on alternative energy based products--PHEVs, EVs, and yes...maybe even FCVs...though I could see why not putting money into a project like that would make sense.

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]427300[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I won't pretend that you're wrong! There's simply no magic wand to wave and make it better though. Same with Tesla, same with CommuterCars, etc. You can't build these from scratch and charge the customer 30% of what they cost you to build... and hope to stay in business. Unless, that is, you are a huge company that can absorb start-up costs... like Toyota had to do with the Prius. We have to find a way to get the build numbers up so that the scales of economy can finally lend a hand and help all of us... like Toyota did with the Prius (I'm not being too subtle here, am I?) :)

The overall goal for right now is to show it can be done, show that the cars are viable, and show that the auto industry can (and should) do this! What pains me is that if this all works - thanks to the little guys taking the big risks today... then those same little guys may very well end up losing to the big guys who come after and take the market with instant economies of scale. The little guys will have to stay ahead with better performance, and cutting edge technology.

If an unknown company like Tesla can pre-sell 300 impractical, $100,000 cars with just a hope and prayer, you really do have to wonder what the numbers would look like for a practical mass-produced-by-the-big-guys car at $45k. Especially now that the public is just on the cusp of being aware of the actual BENEFITS of e-drive, after being spoon fed all the negatives for 12 years. The car makers just love to tell us that there is "no market" for EVs. And yet no mainstream EV has ever been marketed! So that's a pretty big stretch!

Even this eBox review trashed the EV1 with misinformation. But that's the nature of the beast, and the EV1 is behind us. As long as we begin to concentrate on what is available and possible NOW, we'll be in good shape.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm seriously ready to clunk down the $$$ for the 4 wheel lunch box. My 2004 Prius w/ HOV stickers already has an offer, for more than the $18,500 I paid for it used, back in '04. The inhibition to me, arises from very little being said about the ebox battery durability and replacement cost. 100,000 miles? 50,000 miles? Time will tell.

9. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Have they solved the problem of only 300-500 charge cycles for a lithium-ion battery?

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Apr 21 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]427410[/snapback]</div>
    If by "they" you mean the battery industry, then the answer is yes.

The Phoenix SUT will have a 12-year 250k mile batter warranty. Now THAT is insane. That's of course more warranty than you'll find on a gasoline car.
    http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/

These are NOT the batteries currently used in the e-box however. But the e-box marketing is not dependent on rebates, etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 21 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]427406[/snapback]</div>
    This vehicle would be a great fit for those who enjoy living on the bleeding edge; for those who can afford to support this technology in its infancy - and maybe those who want to drive a wolf in sheep's clothing. Those who need a long, rock-solid warranty need not apply. But we've got to start somewhere, and this is a hell of a (re)start!

11. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 21 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]427448[/snapback]</div>

Geesh BUT why start with an ugly Ebox. They should have done a 4 door Camry or something. I would never buy one of these car boxes.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Apr 21 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]427483[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently it was a matter of practicality: The Scion xB is the cheapest vehicle that meets both criteria: 1. Being a Toyota, it is reliable; and 2. It has enough space to install the batteries without taking up all your cargo space, as would happen with a sedan.

I would buy a Camry EV in a heartbeat! But on the other hand, AC Propulsion is not selling their conversions outside of California.

13. green01

green01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tom Gage of AC Propulsion brought his xBox to a recent Electric Car Association meeting. He was asked why did they choose the "ugly" xB for conversion?

He said the Scion xA, was their first choice but the battery pack they had planned didn't fit.

He mentioned they are now looking into other conversion candidates, such has the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, and others. I don't remember him making comments about OEM negotiations. Apparently light weight is a primary factor in the choice.

AC Propulsion now has Asian investors/owners who are undoubtedly trying to take advantage of their Chinese connections to grow the company. I can only imagine where this might lead.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup. All the responses are correct. First off, as many people think the Prius is ugly as think the Xb is ugly - so you've got the beauty is in the eye of the beholder thing going on.

Second - the Xb was simply the most practical choice. It is a light, already efficient, inexepensive vehicle that has the room for the conversion. They HAD to start with a cheaper vehicle or the price quickly gets up near $100k. The Xb really was the best choice out there. And yes, they are seriously looking at other candidates, but had to start somewhere.

15. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 21 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]427448[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, darelldd, the battery life information wasn't on the Phoenix site the last time I looked. But it is now. I went to the Altairnano site and they are claiming 15,000 cycles and 20 years (!) for their battery. That'll do. Definitely time to buy stock in the company.

I keep trying to back-solve for the per-unit price on the battery packs. Phoenix says 500 cars this year, 6000 next year. Altairnano says this year's sales to Phoenix will amount to as much as $42M. At 500 units, I don't even want to do the long division to figure out the per-unit price. But there are no exotic raw materials used, so you'd think that the price would eventually come done.

Clearly, if their claims are true, they've completely solved the lithium ion battery life problem. Why doesn't GM buy the Volt battery from Altairnano and/or license the technology.

What I'm saying here is that, aside from the cost issue (which we can't possibly know right now), if what Altair claims is true -- safe, rapid-charge, 15,000 cycle/20 year Liion battery, that is obviously fit for EV use -- then "the batteries aren't ready yet" is not longer a valid excuse. Period. It's just a matter of validating their claims and getting the price down to something reasonable.

16. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

I'd rather have the Scion than the Phoenix just because I trust Toyota more for issues of safety and things like that.

Come on Toyota, make one of these yourself, add the smart key features, (ETA oh and the rear view camera. I can't live without that now) and I'd be all about it even if it means that the Prius wouldn't get much love anymore.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Apr 23 2007, 05:23 AM) [snapback]428235[/snapback]</div>
    You got it. And we're all hoping. But we've also seen smoke and mirrors before. Fingers crossed.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Apr 23 2007, 05:23 AM) [snapback]428235[/snapback]</div>
    I would not buy stock in a company based solely on its claims for its product, especially when it claims to have improved an existing technology by an order of magnitude in one leap. I hope their claims are true. But I'd be cautious about investing my money in extreme claims.

Because then they would have no further excuse for not building the Volt.

Well, for that matter, even without these Altair batteries, the excuse of "batteries not yet ready" is not valid.

Right now, most Americans are not yet ready to buy an EV. But the cost equation is going to change as gas becomes scarcer and more expensive. A smart auto company will get as many EVs on the road as it can now, selling to those of us who want them, so that as the gas crunch comes and more people want EVs, they will have gotten used to seeing that company's cars on the road, and the existing cars will have established a reliability history.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 23 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]428357[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. Awaiting the "perfect" batteries is simply silly. Just how great were the first ICE's back in the early 20th century? Did they wait for fuel injection and multi-valve heads? Did Toyota wait for PHEVs to start marketing their hybrids? Nope - they started with what was "good enough." This is a classic case of the perfect being the enemy of the good. We can put good - even GREAT - PHEVs out now, with mature battery technology that will last the life of the car. Maybe it'll only go 30 miles instead of 40. Maybe the next generation would go 60 miles. And 100 miles five years later. But as Daniel says - get going NOW with what we've got. If the Altair Nano lives up to the promises, then the sky is the limit. But just like when you need a new computer, you have to buy one... with existing technology. Tomorrow there will always be something better and cheaper, and if you continually wait for you, you have nothing.

20. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Now let me see if I understand this correctly. The "big three" are begging your government for more subsidies to develop better batteries. Meanwhile, Altairnano with only 69 employees, is trying to make it happen (pdf) with $18 million in cash, only partially dedicated to battery development, and no government help at all. This very important breakthrough could fail if the investors get cold feet.

Something tells me your tax money is going to be wasted. But I guess that's nothing new.