1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Setpoint and HV Battery Comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jonny Zero, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have found the bare minimum for my own comfort to be 78 degrees auto, and with the driver side, and both of the center registers point to me, and the passenger side closed. (I fly solo 90% of the time).

Is this okay for the HV battery when it is 100+ out? I really do not want to run an ice chest on wheels. :p

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From what I have read, you'd best point one of your registers toward the fan intake in the back seat.

3. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No problem with your method. Battery cooling fan will pull the air to it anyway.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I run my AC at 72 and monitor cabin temp and battery fan inlet temps. In my 26 mile commute the cabin temp gets down to about 77-78 and the battery inlet temp is typically a couple of degrees above cabin. So at 78 AC setpoint the battery inlet temp is going to be in the high 80 to low 90 range.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Closing off some vents seems counter-productive to me. The more air flowing - the better the cabin cools, and that means less load on the compressor and blower. So not only does it result in a hotter cabin it also increases the electrical load and makes a hotter battery.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I closed the passenger side vent to direct more airflow towards me. This is the only way to get enough air flow after the fan drops to one bar. Alternately I can set the ac to the low 70s or manaully dial up the fan speed. I figure why cool the side no one is sitting in?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2