1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC setting to save gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mike_m, Jun 6, 2006.

1. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I have always got in all of my cars and set temp to "max" cold and usually "low" on the fan. It wasn't til I was reading my manual that the "auto" setting might be the way to go. Does the auto feature work just like a home AC? For example; If I set it on 73, will it come on and off to maintain that temp? The reason I ask is, everytime I have used the auto button in cars, it always comes on full blast. Does it do that just to cool off then adjusts itself? Last question: If the fan is too strong on auto, and I turn it to low, does it automatically turn to manual? There has to be something there to save gas. It's way too hot here in FL. not to use AC.

2. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jun 6 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]266852[/snapback]</div>
    Not exactly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jun 6 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]266852[/snapback]</div>
    The fan will not go "on and off", but the compressor cycle will once the cabin is to set temperature. It will start with as much fan and also recirculated air as needed. It it's hot out, this means full blast fan and recirc air. As cabin temperature comes near set target, recirc will go off and the fan setting will notch down incrementally through the available speeds automatically. Once at temp, the fan will run at a very low speed for temp maintenance.

As will the Prius.

Yup!

Yes. Any screen adjustment, other than set temp, to the climate control will take it out of automatic.

AC's a hit, but I don't think it's enormous and remember that winters up north here kill our MPG's too. It's only fair! Use the Auto AC. If you're going highway speeds anyway, AC is a wash because of the air drag that would be caused by opening the windows. When it's nice out and you're just driving around town, turn the AC off completely and roll down the windows and enjoy. If it's cooler out than it is in the car, drive with the windows down for a few minutes to blow out the hot air quickly. Consider using window shades if you park in the sun. Also AC is more efficient on longer drives because you only have to cool down the cabin once and then just maintain that.

3. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 6 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]266892[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks David. I went and sat in the car for a while and saw that the fan does turn itself down as desired temp. is achieved. I noticed when the fan was on medium and I adjusted the temp up, that turned the fan down to low. All these years, I never knew that, DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

BTW, I filled up with my second tank today, and averaged 45 MPG for 80 miles. I am happy about that. I was sure that I would never see over 40 consistently with the big tires and wheels. I slowed down, anticipating stops, and the mileage shot right up. This whole speed limit thing is kinda neat!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think David gave a pretty good response. if you wanted to try, set the climate control at the highest possible temperature you can withstand while staying cool. That way, the A/C isn't cooling the interior unnecessarily. Today, I had the A/C at 22°C. Then it got cold and I kept bumping it up til it was at 24°C and I was still comfortable.

5. MarieH

MarieH New Member

In the Prius, I'm comfortable with the temp set around 75 or so...in my old car it had to be on 70 to be cool enough. Wonder if the Prius a/c is just more efficient. On cool nights, I just turn the fan on to keep some air moving, and turn the a/c off. That's probably not going to be something you can do anytime soon in Florida!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't like the full-blast A/C blowing. It's loud and windy. So when I turn on the A/C I turn it all the way up to 85ºF since the interior's warmer than that. Then after a while, I slowly cycle it down if I start feeling warm.

7. powrfuel

powrfuel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 7 2006, 05:09 AM) [snapback]267161[/snapback]</div>

i set mine at 68...like it cold

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    78-80F works just fine for me in Los Angeles. 49-50MPG so far @ 102Km/h.

9. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

I dont think this is correct. I remember reading somewhere in the manual, I think, that whatever changes made to AC settings will set to manual only that particular setting, the rest of AC functions will still be on AUTO. From my personal experience, if I change fan speed, while the AC is on AUTO, the rest of the AC functions are still auto: recirclulating is auto, air distribution (which vents are used) is auto, the air also changes in temperature which makes me to believe that the car using the compressor to adjust the temperature in order to keep it at the set level while the fan is on manual.

Also, as I mentioned in my other post "AC impact on MPG", using AUTO when difference between "comfort" temperature and outside air is high, kills MPG by at least 10. Again, all of this is from my personal experience and I dont have anything, except my personal observations and testing, to back it up. Temperature here, AZ, stays above 100 for a few weeks already, and obove 110 for almost a week. If I use AUTO right from the start of my commute home from work, at about 3:30 PM, I see my MPG drops and AC is on full blast for at least 25 minutes. If I manualy set the fan speed to one less from the middle, while the rest is on AUTO, and then switch to full AUTO when temp inside is cooled down, about 15 minutes, MPG decreases only by about 2-4 MPG. I did quite a few experiments with different settings while taking the exact same commute and this approach seems to be the best compromise between MPG and a comfort zone, at least for me.

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Jun 7 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]267240[/snapback]</div>
    In addition to the temp adjustment not taking it out of A/C AUTO mode, you can toggle the recirc air on and off without taking it out of AUTO.

But changing the fan speed or the the vent directions or turn off the A/C button (the compressor) all do take it out of AUTO. I'm going by the A/C AUTO indicator light on the dash board.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Jun 7 2006, 08:32 AM) [snapback]267240[/snapback]</div>
    My observations bare this out as well. I have also noticed if I just push the AC button on the MFD to turn off the AC the compressor won't run but the rest of the system will still be in auto. If you then push the AC button on the steering wheel everything returns to normal full auto, or if you push the defrost button the compressor will also come back on to clear the windshield. I think it's totally versatile once you get used to how it works.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 7 2006, 06:09 AM) [snapback]267161[/snapback]</div>
    Over on the chat boards where Prii talk about their owners - yours is telling all his buddies, "hey, this is cool. The driver controls the climate for me, so I don't have to worry about it! Of course I had to be package 9 to get this feature."

13. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

It has been a few years since I've been in Florida, so what I do here in San Diego may not help you much. But it seems to work great here! :)

When I first approach the car, I open all four doors and the hatch if it is hot outside. (I always try to park in the shade and away from the gotta be right up front crowd.) I get my child into her carseat and work my way around the car closing all the doors from front passenger door to driver's door. If the car is still hot inside, while driving I roll down all the windows for a few minutes and turn the fan on HIGH with the vents pointing away from me. Before I get to any freeway, I close the windows and use the A/C just 2-3 degrees below whatever the car shows the outside temp to be. I was amazed at how much cooler we felt just with the 2-3 degree difference the first few times I tried this. I don't mind the fan on full-blast as long as the vents are pointed away from my face. The noise is so much less than any other car that I don't mind it anymore.

I do have to say... While I enjoy nearly every gismo and gadget on the Prius, I actually MISS manual dials for the heating/cooling system. I've had the car since early February and I am still not used the touch-screen system.

14. molgrips

molgrips Member

The car chooses recirc if it's hot outside - this isnt' always best. Here, it might be 90 degrees F outside but like 120 inside.. so it has to work much harder on recirc. Switch to fresh air for a few minutes, this helps.

I think the auto setting just controls which vent it comes out of. The temperature control still works I think. It also still regulates temperature if you don't have AC on, this is good for the winter.

It's annoying though that you can't have the vents on in any combination. I want windscreen and face, or even windscreen face and feet.

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never use auto. I constantly change the fan speed depending on the driving conditions.
    As I hit the highway or a long stretch where the engine will be on, I'll pump up the AC. Then as I want to coast to a light, I'll turn it down or even off so the engine won't run and the SOC won't get drained.
    I also miss the manual controls, as I have to go into climate, then change it as opposed to turning a dial. I also worry about wearing down the MFD. I do this in the winter with the heater also. I'm comfy in a wide range of temperatures (Minnesotan) so I never have the fan on full and can handle temp swings while I sit at a light and then catch back up on the heat/AC as I'm moving again.

16. chuckieland

chuckieland New Member

i thought AC use electric not gas?
    so how does using AC a hit on gas?

17. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuckieland @ Aug 6 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]298564[/snapback]</div>
    Where does the electricity come from?

18. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuckieland @ Aug 6 2006, 01:42 AM)</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Aug 6 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]298576[/snapback]</div>
    in my car, the electricity is recycled/refined sunshine, about $3 per gallon. ;)

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On page 186 in the 2005 Owner's Manual it states:
    "To cool off your Toyota after it has been parked in the hot sun, drive with the windows open for a few minutes. This vents the hot air, allowing the air conditioning to cool the interior more quickly."

It only makes sense not to make the A/C cool down a blazing hot interior if the outside temperature is quite a bit cooler than the interior. As we all know, it is not just the air that is hot on the inside :eek: :blink: .

It takes massive amounts of air conditioning to cool down the interior surfaces and furnishings. An outside blast for a minute or two from rolled down windows will do a much better job removing the super heat . . . and during that time, the A/C system is getting itself up to speed to take over when you close the windows.

20. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I have my ac set to 76 the only auto feature I like is the fan. I set the thing to auto then go to the screen press the bi level button then recalculate, this allows me to be comfortable and when the temp is at that setting, I noticed that the compressor runs very little to maintain ttemps. Im getting 52.6 mpg over 630 miles and it has been in the high 90’s hear in NC.