1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Works only when it wants to.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VonsterMonster, Dec 15, 2015.

1. VonsterMonster

VonsterMonster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm hoping someone can help me trouble shoot my AC problem. I have a 2010 Prius and I leave the climate control on. When I start the car the AC will only work sometimes. I can run errands, where I make 5 stops shutting the engine off each time. It will be hotter then heck in the cabin and after starting the car the ac won't blow air out the vents. Sometimes I can shut the car off and restart it and then the AC will turn on. When it actually blows air, it's nice and cold. If the car is on and the AC won't work, I will turn down the climate control to the coldest setting and it still won't come on. But the next time I start the car the AC might work fine. To me, it seems like a relay or something electrical isn't turning the ac on when the car is turned on. Or maybe the blower motor is getting stuck. Please help.
    Thank you,
    Jimmy

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would try some diagnostic tests.

When it DOES NOT WORK....

1. Will raising/lowering the temperature setting make it kick on?

2. Does the fan speed respond when adjusted manually?

I'm not an expert, but if adjusting the temperature makes it turn on, I'd be puzzled as my initial guess is that your cabin temperature sensor is buggered or failing as the AC responds when the setting is outside the range of the detected temperature.

If the fan won't respond manually, odds are something is wrong with the blower or relay setup that assigns fan speed (I had a problem a few years back on another vehicle, and it was a shorted wire(s) on the harness going to the blower).

Good luck. Anyone have a flowchart for diagnosing the AC system?

3. VonsterMonster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It will not turn on by raising and lowering the temperature setting.

The fan will not turn on when adjusted manually.

No air comes out of the vents at all. Sometimes by shutting the car off and restarting it, the AC will blow ice cold out of the vents.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you checked for trouble codes?

5. VonsterMonster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No I have not checked for trouble codes. There isn't any warning light on the dashboard, so I didn't think of it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i'm not sure either.

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does pressing buttons on the AC get a response on the LCD display or do appropriate LEDs light up?

If not, perhaps some connector for the buttons is working loose and the default setting is OFF.

8. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Blower motor could be going out. This happened to me on my Corolla every few years it seemed like. When it would go out it would do this type of intermittent behavior. I could sometimes start it by hitting the bottom of the glove box a couple times.

9. VonsterMonster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yes all the LCD display lights come on as everything is working correctly.

10. VonsterMonster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm starting the to think the blower motor might be going out. Sometimes when the AC works you can hear a faint helicopter noise, ta ta ta ta ta, from the vents. This is probably a dumb question, but doesn't the same blower blow the hot air out when the heater is on?

11. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The rattling noise was also a symptom of the blower motor for me. As far as the heat question I am not actually sure how that works. This always happened to me (of course) in the middle of the summer, which is like 110 here in Dallas so I don't know that I ever tried the heater. The good news is that the blower motor should be much cheaper to replace than the compressor or some other parts of the A/C

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Very easy DIY if this is the problem.

13. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Blower motor is common and easy replacement. If no air from vents then that's likely it.

iPhone ?

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And I don't know if this would happen so soon, but there can be an obstruction...if something built a nest in the blower motor housing. Removing the obstruction would fix the problem.

15. SharonT

SharonT New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know what to do if it IS blowing air from the outside? Here's what's going on for me: When I try to turn on the AC, the fan works, but I can't get cold air unless it's cold outside. And the display above the AC button says "Outside" instead of "AC," no matter what buttons I push. I've tried every combination. The AC button itself lights up with that little green light, but the display doesn't change. I've already had a new condenser and new freon put in, and I just noticed the display today. Somehow the button is no longer connected to whatever makes the AC work. I have a 2010 Prius. Any ideas? When you mentioned "whatever the button connects to," what DOES it connect to?

16. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Enjoyed the video. Nice to see someone who knows basic electrical wiring. Was taught in auto mechanics school that a car is wired backwards. The body is hot and all the little wires grounds(yes odd Prius is using AC schema for wiring). Not sure that was for all vehicles. Do newer vehicles do that? Or is that ancient data from the civil war.
    Current flow from Car Battery - DoItYourself.com Community Forums
    Q & A: Which way do the electrons flow in a battery. | Department of Physics | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

After reading several sites I am sure I am totally confused. Must be a force field of sorts.

#16 ETP, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure I'd buy that explanation, but it's true that some circuits in some cars are wired such that one terminal of certain electrical components is connected to the "hot" (non-ground, i.e., positive) polarity even when turned off. To turn such a component on, a switch connects the other terminal of the component to the car body (ground, i.e., negative). That might seem sorta "backwards."