1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

acceleration over uneven road surface while braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Laird Banks, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Laird Banks

Laird Banks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could the NYS New Car Lemon Law Program approve my 2010 Pruis into the program. This is an unsafe, dangerous engineering design flaw which effect all.

2. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    And you just discovered this?

Just out of curiosity, what color is the sky in that world you live in?

3. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No they won't because it's not cause by slingshot mechanism and it's not accelaration. It was a pause in the braking action only making you feel like it was acceleration. the car was still slowing down but at a sudden slower rate of deceleration for a split second.

The split second was reduced by software to almost nil. My Prius was purchased after the fix but I've still experienced similar feeling during a bump on the road while I was braking before a red light. The front wheels were momentarily airborn and it feels like the brakes failed. But as soon as the tires hit the ground again, the brake feeling came right back.

I don't think this is only affecting the Prius. It was reported that it affects all cars with anti-lock brakes to different degrees. The Prius had this problem more noticable and it was fixed. All cars have design flaws and if the flaws are not serious and got fixed, they don't fall into the category of lemons.

I think you'll do better to enter into the lemon slingshot competition, than spreading unscientific rumours like this.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No but it looks like you joined in September 2009 so if you bought your Prius before February, there is a chance you did not get SSC-A0B applied. If you'll take your Prius to the Toyota Service Center, they'll put it on without a charge. BTW, we had one case of a Prius that didn't get the patch so it is perfectly OK to ask the service writer to have a technician check the brake software version. Bring us the identifier and we can check to see that you got the right one.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

5. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for your response, but this has already been done and the problem still exists and realize in their last patch they had attempted to resolve it. It didn't work. Thanks anyway.

6. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Interesting response, as I neither have introduced you to my 2010 Prius, nor have you driven it. The acceleration occurs in "real time", is not any misunderstanding and your insinuation of an unscientific overview is in fact...incorrect. Please do not respond.

7. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW sounds like it's time to junk the car.:eek: I'll give you $1000 cash right now for it.:rolleyes:

8. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Actually not, it's been to several toyota dealers for this complaint in order to conform with requirements for NYS-DOS. I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants, this is a truly serious problem. I've been dealing with it since the car was purchased. Didn't just wake up to a blue sky and smell the coffee. Thanks for your response.

9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a forum, it's usual to get answers to a post. :)

And having the brake fixed, if you feel is not ok, just get it to the dealer again to get it done properly.
    Edit: seen you have done it before. In that were the case for me, I would go back until problem fixed, because on thousands of other cars the issue has been resolved. If there is another annoying fault they should also find it and solve.

10. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wouldn't be so proud of having anything to do with these vehicles. Please don't respond and get a haircut.

11. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you able to replicate the problem on demand and if so could you post a video of the issue?

I assume you have taken your Prius to move than one dealer for resolution? What has been their explanation and/or attempted resolution?

Unfortunately, you are going to be met with sceptism on this board as it has seen it's fair share of owners either disapointed with their purchase, unable to make the payments and trying to find an 'out' or just plain trolls.

12. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Four (4) times, 2 different Toyota dealers. I agree. Refer to the above stated "Title".

13. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, I'm not responding to you but just clarifying my comment of "unscientific rumours" to the rest of the Forum members. So please do not read my response, Mr. Banks.

By "unscientific rumours" I mean it's NOT a "slingshot" mechanism, and it's NOT "acceleration".

This forum is fun:D

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mr Banks, This is a tough group and sometimes not very helpful. Slinghot acceleration has also been documented in other cars.

15. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prior auto's: 03, 07 Infiniti FX45. The prius is not comparable in any way....good or bad. Purchased Prius outright. No payments. No $ difficulty. Seeking resolution thru NYS-DOS.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are you able to reproduce this at will?

The reason I ask is I have an accelerometer that can document the effect:
    [​IMG]
    Send me a PM with your address and we can document what is going on.

Does it happen at any fixed spot? If so, let us know a Google map identifier and we'll use "Street View" to document the road surface.

What I'm proposing is gathering engineering data and documenting the problem. Having empirical evidence goes a long way when filing a formal complaint.

Bob Wilson

17. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

ACCELERATION: as in the car moves forward at a faster pace. The term "Slingshot" is the product of the action which takes place when the car LURCHES forward at a faster rate than it was previously moving. Fun and on target. Find another vicitm.

18. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just show a video of your car speeding up with the brakes applied.

So you brake at say 30 mph, and suddenly you are going what, 35 mph?

19. Laird Banks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate your response, but am attempting to resolve and already on a path. Data already documented as suggested.

20. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A