1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Acceleration Sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by untitledblue, Jul 4, 2009.

1. untitledblue

untitledblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I am a little paranoid but recently I 'noticed' more 'vrooom vroom' sound when I accelerate (at slow speeds and fast speeds). I've never noticed any sounds before (I've had the car since March and it's new). I'm just curious if this could be an indication of something?

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if what you are describing is the fan in the battery compartment. Does it come from the back seat? (more from the right side) If so make sure the vents are not blocked and that if it is especially hot outside opening the right rear window does wonders to help cool the battery.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is the "vrooom" an electric sound, or the sound of the gas engine?

Tom

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Given that you're in Houston, I would guess you run the AC and that it runs more now than in March. If you're driving in urban traffic or other low-speed conditions, the AC will pull hybrid battery SOC (state of charge) down considerably. An extended uphill drive will do the same thing, but I'm guessing that's not in issue in Houston. With low SOC there is less battery power available for propulsion and engine RPM will be higher for a given rate of acceleration. Watching the SOC indicator on the Energy screen will help you determine a relationship between SOC and the noise.

Morpheux's theory could be correct too, though I wouldn't think the fan would be in sync with accelerations.

5. untitledblue

untitledblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's weird because I just took a video w/ sound of the acceleration with the A/C off and still heard it (could hear it faintly with the windows open because of the sound of the wind! :) ).

I'll post the video clip url after my '5th' post.

6. untitledblue

untitledblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Here it is, let me know what you think because I could not recall any sounds when accelerating before:

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sounds like the ICE running. If it is not unusually loud then I won't worry about it. Did you check all fluid levels just in case? Good luck! :)

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't tell from the video because I am at work and I don't have my headphones, but it never hurts to get things checked out if you are concerned about it. Ignoring any problems is what makes things much worse. I would have it looked at or ask if you can compare it with another one on the lot to make sure it acts similarly.

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think its got a throatier sound, I like it. You've checked around the intake?, everything together? Aside from a different air filter I'm not sure what would make that change.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was gonna be my guess. If the intake opens up you will usually hear the engine more. Check to esnure all the tubing and the air filter cover is intact and snapped down.