1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accelerator pedal problem 2001 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by av_in_bc, Dec 19, 2004.

1. av_in_bc

av_in_bc New Member

i'm told i need a whole new acc. pedal assembly (almost 800$)
    the gas engine shut down friday morning with the problem light displayed on the lcd.
    toyota ran a diagnostic cleared the error and the car is working again. i have noticed occasional power drops while driving lately and i think it is related to this.
    toyota say that it can not be fixed and a whole new assembly is required and this is not covered as part of the drive-train warranty.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sorry about that. The $800 quote seems rather lavish! The accelerator pedal assembly retails for $400 or so, and some Toyota parts suppliers will substantially discount that (example Metro Toyota, aka Toyota parts Now, in Ohio). Below that, one might consider a used part from a wrecked Prius. No gaurantee, probably sub-$100.

I have not had to do this work on my classic Prius, but the description in the service manual seems straightforward enough.

One person (specifically PriusPete corresponding at Yahoo) has said that an ECU (electronic control unit) is replaced as well, but I do not see mention of this in the service manual. If you could get your $800 friends to state that they are only replacing the assembly, not an ECU, then the way seems clear for do it yourself.

Good luck and please keep reporting.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do internet searches on the "Big Hand Syndrome".

It's a rare condition with the early classic models that is both easily identified and easily fixed. (Mine didn't have it.) It is covered under the 3/36 warranty, but not the drivetrain. If you are past that time/mileage, try those searches to hopefully find an expected price.

4. toyotapartsnow

toyotapartsnow New Member

I saw your post last night but I waited until now to see if there were others alternatives besides a new one. The part does indeed cost $400.00.

I do discount parts and this one comes in at $276.80.

I hope this helps. :)