1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accelerator Pedal Sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dollinsa, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dollinsa

dollinsa New Member

Hello,
    I have a 2001 Prius with a little over 77,000 miles on it. I am a neophyte at trying to understand the workings of my vehicle, but I am trying.

Problem history:
    Background: Recently the air conditioner has been performing less and less.

Sunday, on a curved down hill exit ramp the vehicle's steering went out. Then the consumption display screen showed three symbols: the power steering symbol, the main battery symbol and the triangle with the exclamation mark in it. The display screen that provides current speed also showed the triangle with the exclamation mark symbol. I drove the car about 1.5 miles to arrive at home. Later that evening I "played around" with what I think was the coolant overflow tubing. After that manuever, all of the symbols went away and have not returned.

I took the vehicle in to my local dealer on Monday. I was told that the problem was an accelerator sensor malfunction (approximate repair cost $550). The diagnostic code was ccsp1120. The service manager said that someone else had this problem this past week.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? What questions should I be asking?
    Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
    Annie

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    HI Annie, welcome to my world! I have a 2001 Prius and have taught myself how to fix this problem which appears specific to the 2001 Prius model year.

If you want to pay Toyota's breathtaking price for the new part, rest assured that it will almost certainly never fail again. My "educated guess" is that they started making them better for the 2002 model year, or perhaps a little bit earlier. Please look at the label on the driver's door frame for the manufacturing date and post it; mine for example is 7/01. I would also like to know th elast 5 diigts of your VIN.

If you want to see how I fix them and perhaps give it a try yourself, join the yahoo group called toyota-prius-sat2 and see the files section for my 11-page pdf. Note that it is not completely current because it does not mention the specialty chemicals from

www.caig.com

which I am now using on the electrical contacts and resistor tracks. If you are inclined to DIY, I will be glad to offer assistance remotely.

If you wish to buy a renovated accel pedal from me and handle the (easy) removal and installation yourself, let me know. At present I await two failed ones to be shipped to me, hence for the moment I have no renovated ones to send out. But when I do (certainly by next week I hope), it would go like this:

1) Send me your address and a check for $75
    2) I send you a renovated accel, instructions for R&R (the above mentioned pdf in fact), a liability disclaimer for you do sign (I can't afford insurance at these prices), and a 1 year guarantee on the thing. I intend to retroactively extend that guarantee later, when we accumulate more experience "on the road" with these. I have been driving with nothing but a succesion of these renovated accle pedals for more than a year now no problems.
    3) You send me your failed accel pedal so that I can fix it for the next victim.

Warning there are a couple of folks in other groups who may soon commit to my "accel pedal exchange", so I will need to fulfill them in the order that people actually commit.

If you decide to purchase new from Toyota, PLEASE hang on to the failed one so that I can make a modest offer to buy it from you. I need more stock!

There is no reason why I could not also post that pdf here in PriusChat someplace, but I would really like to update it first re: Caig.

Based on description of your other issues I suspect that they are unrelated. Your air conditioning may need to be recharged,; A good Toyota (or any good air conditioning shop) could confirm this. You may need to pursue the power steering replacement under Toyota's warranty enhancement on this system, 5 years from the vehicle's original in service date with no mileage limitation. The trouble code on the steering is P1513. If you purchased the vehicle new, I would expect that you received a letter a while ago referring to that warranty enhancement.

I just had my power steering replaced at 92.5 k miles, and after a brief delay getting Toyota to agree to do it (for free), it was a painless 3 hr procedure and now all is fine there for me. Good Luck!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    about $550 in the shop sounds a bit high, they're not trying to really screw you, but they're probably trying to get a little more out of you than they should. it really is a simple procedure.

something is definitely up with the AC- maybe a leak or a relay issue. (can't recall offhand if the classic prius is electric or belt driven.)

unfortunately this steering problem doesn't sound like the problem that will be covered under that extended warranty. could very well be related to the sensor problem. however, when the lights went out, the codes cleared out. and come to think of it... was the check engine light on when you took the car into the dealer at all?

DAS: we may be able to supply you with some assemblies to refurb, they're done somewhat frequently around here.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 1 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]296051[/snapback]</div>
    Boy I do not often get to catch a you with your finger off the number!!! BELT driven for the Classic. Mostly the Pharmacists correct me! :p

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 1 2006, 11:09 PM) [snapback]296057[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: :lol: having a bit of an off night/week/month... yeah i'll get back to you on that.

thanks for the confirmation :)

hey now, remember i'm a pharmacologist! :D

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It almost sounds like the EPS was shut down due to the car's fail-safe mode when it struck the accel-sensor problem. I would be doubly inclined to go in that direction if the EPS started working immediately after the fault indicators went away and the car started driving properly.