1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accelerator pedal tension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edrum, Jul 12, 2004.

1. edrum

edrum New Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the tension on the accelerator peddle on the 04? My ankle cramps up if I drive for too long without the cruise control on. I'd like to increase the tension so that my foot can rest while going at cruising speed.

BTW, it seemed inappropriate to call it a gas peddle :!:

2. Marg

Marg New Member

I second that! If anyone knows a solution to this, my quivering cramping feet and toes will thank you!

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You could shorten or lengthen the pedal return spring to suit your needs. It will probably be located above the gas pedal under the dash.

4. JackInNC

JackInNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ok. I'm going to revive this thread. Has anyone actually successfully done this? I just got back from a 1000 mile 4 day trip in a rental prius. At the end of my trip, my back and leg were bothering me, because I couldn't find a position that I can rest my leg on the accelerator without having to actively hold it up to keep from depressing the accelerator more than I want to. In my accord, I can just rest my foot on the accelerator and control it pretty easily with just a little movement of my ankle.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Assuming that the accel pedal assembly is mechanically very similar to the previous NHW11, with just a different sensor box.

You would have to separate all the mechanicals, and find similar springs that don't fight so hard. There is one in each direction and the one that unloads the pedal is the stronger. I recall it is just e-clips holding the thing together.

The only problem is that if you can't reassemble it, Toyota wants quite a lot for the replacement part.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If we are still talking about the 04, why not use the cruise control on long trips?

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

ps. On a serious bend, cruise control is your friend.

8. JackInNC

JackInNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I do a lot of driving in hilly terrain where the cruise control isn't quite as good. I also ended up with lots of tension in my leg from holding my leg up. Is this something that Toyota could modify for me or that I could get done at a shop?