1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accessories to ask for when purchasing new Prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by ellie's mom, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ellie's mom

ellie's mom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am getting ready to go and negotiate the final deal for my new 08' Prius - package #2 on Friday and have already talked the dealer into tinting my windows.

I would like to know if any of you have other suggestions that I might ask for that will not effect the overall price of the vehicle? ;)

Thanks!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make sure you have a tonneau cover and carpet mats. They're usually added on to the sticker but are separate charges that are added to the cost of the car.

I think it's great you negotiated tint. If you can get them to throw in a clear bra on the hood, that would be a plus.

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would that be Jordan Toyota? I am on the wait list and want to know how much you are paying and with what accessories. I am interested in a pkg. 2 also.

4. ellie's mom

ellie's mom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi! Nope I'm actually going through Gates. I tried Jordan but they had a long wait list. I am paying over MSRP, but I believe is still a great deal since I'll have my car.

How long are you going to have to wait at Jordan, may I ask?

5. rep308

rep308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't buy anything extra from the dealer. They charge way too much for things like fabric protection and service contracts. Drive away with your car and shop for add ons later

6. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You are REALLY fortunate! I couldn't get a THING from my dealer, what with the long waits and all. He didn't see a need to offer a darn thing! Of course, I am paying under MSRP. Best wishes!

7. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The decal on the top of the rear bumper (I think that's where it is) prevents scratches when you balance things there while loading/unloading. I wouldn't have thought of it, but Fiona was already so equipped when I got her.
    I also bought OEM all-weather mats - much better for the winter slop than the carpet ones.

8. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I asked for mats and the cargo net. There's a package that adds the first aid kit but there's no discount to speak of in the pricing. Other things I'm considering include the rear bumper guard (the black rubber one) and a kit to integrate a dock-and-play Sirius receiver, but I'll go to the aftermarket for those.

9. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am number 8 or 9. But, they don't seem to be getting a big allocation of Pri. It has been about a month already. I have my name down at a couple of places. It looks like a dealer in IL will have it by the end of this month.

10. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got my dealer to throw in the tonneau cover, mats, wheel locks, and free oil changes for the life of my car. Well worth it I say.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The black rubber bumper cover is better than the decal.

Don't buy lojack, service plan, undercoat or any other paint stuff. Don't get any of those add ons. If you feel better having an extended warranty, buy it here from Troy as he'll beat any deal the dealer offers.

You're paying over MSRP? You should get the mats, tonneau cover for sure. They can throw in a Prius license plate frame (rather than those cheapie ones that advertise the dealership). A cargo tote. Just about anything else that says Prius.

Too bad you can't get the hood deflector and mud guards but those are Canadian items.

12. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

So godiva,
    Are you saying to purchase the rubber bumper gaurd and not the clear 3M aplique gaurd? I am in the process of trying to choose which one I'd rather get, I should hurry before I scratch it though. I have already thrown my bike back there plenty of times..... Knock on wood...

13. ellie's mom

ellie's mom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all! I am SO HAPPY! I finished my Prius negotiations by noon today and wanted to thank all of you for your help and support. Gosh what a club you've all got going here!

Anyway, back to the good stuff. I paid only $500 over MSRP, got the dealer to give me the window tint, up to legal limit dark (thanks to my bro.. who knows about that stuff!), the rubber bumper guard appliqué, and oil changes at $9.95 for the life of the car. Not too bad. Now I just hope they don't put the stupid dealership emblem on my car...speaking of that, I gotta take care of that to, tomorrow! (smile) I'd say that I consider myself extremely fortunate because I never was on a Prius waiting list! That alone seems unheard of. Somehow the moon and stars are aligning for me - maybe I should buy a lottery ticket?!?!?!

Now I just gotta sit back and wait for July 10th to come!

Thanks again everyone! I am learning so much and know I will have many questions after I get my car!

Now to give her the perfect name...