1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

accessory mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Apr 29, 2011.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does Accessory Mode work?

I've checked the archive posts -- nothing appears -- at least that I understand -- might be my University of Phoenix education -- studying about birds emerging from ash tends to fog the brain.

I was driving back home on Easter stuck behind a number of slow drivers. Got so bad that I pulled off a couple of times and just tried to listen to the radio. However, I have never done this before in the Prius. In my old Corolla, I just turned the key to accessory and all was fine.

I realized I did not know how to reach accessory mode in the Prius. Checked the owner's manual. As usual, it was useless -- malum in se. Or maybe it is just me. The instructions might as well have been written in English.:confused:

IS there an accessory mode?

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Push the start button without your foot on the brake.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. ACC mode is indicated by the green light on the power button. See section 2-6 of your manual (it's on pages 140 and 142 of mine).

I wouldn't leave it in that mode for too long since the 12 volt battery is small and can be run down pretty quickly.

While you're in the car, I would just leave the power fully on so that you don't discharge the 12 volt.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius has four possible operating modes:

- IG-OFF, where all systems are off.

- READY, where the car can be driven. I assume you know both of these.

- ACC-ON, which can be reached from IG-OFF by depressing the POWER button once without depressing the brake pedal. This is good for listening to the stereo, and is the mode that you inquired about.

- IG-ON, which can be reached with an additional press of the POWER button. This can be used to raise/lower the windows and all electrical systems are available. Most dashboard warning lights appear. I recommend that you minimize use of this mode because 12V power drain is quite high.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While ACC-ON is the accessory mode, don't use it for extended periods. The Prius has a small battery, and it doesn't take well to abuse. If you stay in Ready, the car can keep the battery charged as needed.

Tom

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    LOL. :thumb:

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, what qbee wrote! When you do that, leave the car ON, shift to Park, set the parking brake, and everything will be fine.