1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accessory Power for Rear Amp

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Alolio, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Alolio

Alolio New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've read that people are tapping the accessory outlet in the center console for accessory power for their amps. Which color wire are you tapping?

Has anyone tapped accessory power from the rear wiper instead? I'm putting my amp underneath the cargo area and it would be a heck of a lot easier to get power from there. But again, I'm not sure which color wire to tap. I've got the trunk stripped to the metal, and could access anything back there for accessory power, just not sure what's what...

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I tapped directly into the battery, with a fused PDB.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't do that. Just hit up Magnolia Hi-Fi or anothe rlocal stereo shop and ask for a Low Voltage Turn-on switch. Peripheral sold them under the part name "LVT2" and also built into their high-to-low converter "SVENR". This device will allow you to use the signal from your stock speakers to turn on your amplifier. Since you already had to tap the speakers for signal you can simply connect the LVT2 to your line converter and BAM! a low voltage remote turn on wire is available. :) The device retails approx. $15.

4. Alolio

Alolio New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you both very much. I'll head by Magnolia Hi-Fi (bought by Best Buy, right?) and see what they have.

ZenMachine, for clarification - PDB?

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you go to a large chain store you'll have to speak with an installer most likely. The cats inside the store are usually clueless. :) If you don't have any luck start calling local stereo shops and ask if they carry the Peripheral name brand or Directed Electronics. Both manufactures carry a similar product.

I believe Zen was refering to a Power Distribution Block. :)

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    PDB = Power Distribution Block.

My amp is actually turned on by the Cleansweep DSP unit, which is turned on by the Cleansweep SSI, which is set to turn on when the car is in ACC or Ready mode. All these units, plus the powered sub, are connected to the PDB using 8-gauge wires.

7. Alolio

Alolio New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Gotcha. I'm rather new to the addition of anything more than replacement speakers in any vehicle. An amplifier was a bit outside my comfort zone, but I'm happy to report that it's working fine.

For cost and for time, and since I already had all the trim off the driver's and passenger's sides of the car, I tapped 12V ACC (accessory) power from the front 12V plug. Using Coastal Tech's Always Hot Outlet mod photos, I tapped the white wire (not white/black) and ran it across and down the driver's side.

Everything's working quite well. Thanks again for all your help.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear man. :)

To be safe you might want to put a fuse on that remote turn-on wire that you tapped into the 12v source. Just to be safe. :)