1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accessory Power Inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PhazonPhobe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically I'm looking to add a 750 - 1000w power inverter.

There's plenty of instances where it would be used enough to be worth installing. Wiring and what not won't be a problem, I'll just direct wire it into the 12v battery with an 80a inline fuse.

Only problem I'm having is location. Where would be the best place to mount it? Ideally, somewhere where it won't be heard. I know the fans on those things tend to be fairly loud.

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine sits in the upper trunk. This also gives you a short wire run to the battery. I have a breaker that is rated at a little less than the inverter wired inline, and use an Anderson Powerpole connector to plug the unit in.

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An optima yellow top has 38 amp-hours. At 12 Volts that is 465 watt-hours. That is 28 minutes at 1000w, before it is dead, (if the car is off).

4. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean in the upper trunk? Like, the storage area under the carpet?

5. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would only run it with the vehicle on. The 3 amps for my sound system draw enough power by themselves.

6. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am looking for the same thing. Anyone have any good brands? Don't mean to hijack the thread just wondering people's thoughts...

I was thinking of putting it in the actual storage bin hoping to make it removable and only used when necessary..

Is that possible?

Ryan

7. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought about this as well. Would there be a problem with over heating?

8. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought a 1.2 KW unit from Harbor Freight for $120.
    1200 Watt Power Inverter

I put it in the storage compartment above the spare. I mounted it to the right of the spare drilling a few holes in the bottom (checking nothing was underneath) and cutting away some plastic in the storage bin to clear it. I wired it directly to the battery. I had previously used a smaller 700 watt unit like:
    12V Power Inverter - 1500 Watts Max

I cut a battery jumper cable in half, and used it to attach directly to the battery. I used it to power my house when we had a black out. It would not reliably start my furnace, or run my refridgerator, so I upgraded to the above one. I did have lights, computer :& TV running, so it was useful. I have not tested the new one yet, but I expect it to run the furnace or the fridge but not both at the same time.
    Of course, the Prius needs to be in Ready to run this. The nice thing about it, is the ICE only runs when needed to recharge the battery pack. Oh, one other thing, I use a flooded battery in my Prius, not the OEM AGM, which does not have the peak current capacity of the flooded type.

9. will_leavitt

will_leavitt New Member

Any concerns about overloading the Prius 12V supply? Presumably there is a dc-dc converter for making the 12V used to supply the AGM, and it might not be sized to run a 1200W load. I'd hate to burn that out.