1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident at the pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigj3347, Dec 12, 2005.

1. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was filling up at my local shell station, I had driven maybe 25 miles after my add fuel warning came on so i figured i'd be able to add a bit over 10 gallons this time so i just let it pump. The pump never clicked, it just kept going till about 11.4 gallons. At first, I was like, wow, I might be able to break the 500 miles per tank record i haven't been able to achieve yet, but when I tool the hose out, gas started bubbling out of the tank, rapidly at first, and then slowly dying off, I do not know exactly how much, but I'd say a good 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of gas just sputtered out of my tank. Has this happened to aynbody? I'm not sure what caused this. Btw, my fuel gauge displayed full bars till about 150 miles in to that tank, currently, I still have about three bars left at 400 miles on this tank. I average about 46mpg so i've come close but never achieved 500 miles per tank. Maybe I'd be able to do it this time.

2. benighted

benighted New Member

This is exactly what happened to me the first and only time I attempted to top off the tank.

3. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh i've topped off before plenty of times and this hasn't happened, this time, i didn't NOT top off, it just went all the way up to 11.4 gallons before it clicked itself off.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius pilots have a hard time with fill-ups. I have learned to not push the tank any further than necessary, in either the full or empty direction. I will almost always fill up when I have 2 pips left on the display. There is no logical reason I can come up with to push the fuel tank any farther than that. Lots of folks really want to get 500+ miles per tank and such, but I just don't think itis worth it to risk it. A number of posters have made the mistake of running their cars out of gas, which is an undesireable condition.

I also tend to fill my tank on the slowest autolock setting on the pump handle. I believe this has two positive effects. 1. You are putting less volume in the tank over a period of time, which I believe the lower volume of gas entering the tank matches up with the expansion rate of teh bladder better than if you fill the tank as fast as possible. 2. It seems that the handle is more likely to autostop at the proper time when you are filling more slowly than if you fill at a faster rate. 3. I never take my hand off the pump handle. Easier and better that way if the tank seems to be getting too full and you need to stop it, fast.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Broken shutoff mechanism at that pump, maybe. Tell the attendant, and next time use a different pump.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In my experience the shut off mechanism on pumps varies widely from none to very sensitive. I have learned which I can use and which I do not have the patience to fool with. I have had one burp and that was using a very sensitive pump that I had to fill a quarter of a gallon at a time. I guessed from my computer mileage and odometer how much gas I would need and I guessed wrong. Spilled a cup or so. Now I would rather under fill than spill gas.

7. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What was the temperature like when this happened? I was thinking that if would be more likely to happen when its cold.

8. xraynano

xraynano New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably right, COMBINED with a bladder system, he may have actually slightly overinflated
    the bladder, HENCE it came back out after filling?

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if i ever reach a 10-gallon fill-up, i stop there.

i usually get about 9.5 in before it shuts off.

10. nstevens

nstevens Junior Member

I experienced an overflow/spill problem on a cold winter day last year. It was the first and last time I attempted to fill the tank on the slowest autolock setting. It was around 2 F outside when it happened ... I'm guessing this is more likely to happen in cold weather?? Ever since that incident, I just put the autolock on the fastest position and stop filling when it clicks off. On a typical warm day I can put in 10 gallons. On a very cold day I'm lucky to get 8 or 9 gallons. I'm willing to be light a few gallons if it prevents anymore overflows. Not to mention ... pumping gas in sub-zero temps isn't fun ... I'd much rather get that pump flowing as fast as possible!

11. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I live in southern california so our definition of cold is decidedly different from most other people's. It was about 70 degrees when I overfilled it. on a side note, I filled up today at 485 miles. Was going on a 50 mile one way trip to the airport and didn't wanna risk having to find a gas station half way on the trip. It was about 50 degrees outside and I was only able to get in 6.5 gallons before the first click went off, didn't wanna mess with it so i capped it and left, but I knew i ought to have been able to get in at least ten gallons, 495 miles at 46 miles per gallon .. . I did the math . . .but whatever. I'll be paying more attention to the meter reading from now on, as opposed to day dreaming about exploding gas stations a la Zoolander. :)