1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident - few questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ps004ynos, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually bought a v but posting in Gen III hoping for a few more replies. Our new 2013 v (Blizzard pearl) was hit on the left. Knocked off the driver side view, dented the fender, pulled off some of the bumper, scratched the wheel cover. We're going through our insurance (Geico) because his insurance (Mercury) was stalling. They have, however, admitted 100% liability. I met with the Geico appraiser who recommended:

1. replace bumper
    2. fix fender
    3. blend part of door to match fender
    4. replace side view
    5. Alignment

I skipped their recommended store and went to Marina's Collision in San Francisco based on Yelp reviews. Marina recommended:

1. replace bumper
    2. replace fender
    3. new bracket
    4. replace side view
    5. blend part of hood to match fender
    6. Alignment

Marina will add to the supplemental repair and try to convince Geico to cover. If not, they said they'll cover the additional work to get the job. They can't get me in until next week (not a big deal to me).

My questions:
    1. I heard hybrids being painted in a heat booth require pulling the hybrid battery. When I asked Marina, he said they don't need to pull the battery. I'm not sure if he meant that they don't use a heat booth or that he doesn't believe in pulling the battery.
    2. Any recommendations for a body shop in San Francisco/Bay Area? I'm willing to drive further to get it done right the first time. Too many horror stories about Blizzard Pearl repaints.
    3. Would you recommend blending the door to match the fender or the hood to match the fender?
    4. Any recommendations for a Diminished Value appraiser? I'm thinking about St. Lucie's.
    5. Anybody who's completed a DV claim know this answer: If I go through my insurance company, can I still pursue a DV claim or did I need to go through the other insurance company. Also, do you wait until all repairs are complete and the supplemental repair information done to get a DV appraisal or do you get them to inspect before the repair job?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry to hear about the situation! matching the bumper skin to the metal is outside of the factory so don't expect perfection.
    others hear have some real good advice with dealing with the ins. co.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've had 3 repairs now, never any talk about pulling the battery. Just looking over our guy's website, see no mention of a heat booth, though.

4. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. I'll just update this thread as things go along, hopefully it helps somebody else in the future.

WE0H likes this.
  5. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: took some photos of the damage with my SLR before dropping it off to the body shop. Will post those tonight. Will take photos of the job after to compare. Was hoping for feedback on whether others thought the paint job is passable.

Question: I asked them NOT to drill license holes into the new bumper because I bought a skene front license plate holder. The shop calls me to say the new OEM bumper comes with the holes drilled. I've heard otherwise. I'm wondering:

1. did they just repair the old bumper and try to pass it off as new?
    2. did they buy some used bumper with existing holes to pass it off as new?

Not trying to be paranoid but I swear every shop I've worked with has tried to cut corners.

6. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: LOL. 5 minutes after talking to them, they call back and backtrack. It's the original bumper and they tried to repair it. "It looks good though!" They're offering to cut the cost of a new bumper (estimate by Geico $230) out of the repair bill.

I swear, no honesty out there.

7. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Sorry to hear about your accident. Yes I agree with Spiderman, don't expect the Blizzard Pearl to match with the factory original paint job. I had to have my front bumper repainted three times after a scooter cut in front of me. It still doesn't match and I got tired of taking it back so I'll just live with it. Make sure you ask for OEM replacement parts and not knock offs. The first bumper they tried to screw me with was a cheap knock off and it didn't fit right, especially around the grill insert area. Needless to say I'm still pissed off about this, and no I did not allow them to blend it in with the hood or front side fender walls because I didn't want to take the chance of them screwing that up too! Good Luck with yours tho!

8. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Fore. Any tips on confirming the parts are OEM besides just visual inspection for fit?

9. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I made the mistake of trusting my local insurance company to take care of everything the first time. Big, Big mistake! When I went back to look over the estimate after the first bumper was installed with imperfections it clearly stated non OEM bumper as a replacement. Make sure you take control and demand in writing OEM parts then make sure it’s on the estimate paper before agreeing to it. I always learn the hard way.

10. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

this is not the way to fix bumper..
    new OEM bumper is the only way to fix..

I had been there arguing to use OEM parts not to fix it. mostly they will agree. Just Stress to them to replace Not to fix.

well.. ins company always to pay the lowest repair bill..

I had once car that had fixed bumper from previous owner, the bumper was waving due on summer heat after years. the putty(bondo) got peel-off and completely off after that.

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I read on this forum that Geico was notorious for using used repair parts rather than new parts. For that $230 bucks I would certainly get a new bumper skin.

Mike

12. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the SLR photos of the damage. I took photos in the early morning to get good lighting:

Attached Files:

13. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I stopped by the body shop tonight. They were in the middle of cleaning up the car. Saw a few problems right away:

1. "New" fender (not even sure it's OEM or new) is crooked
    2. The paint seemed OK
    3. The repaired bumper does not fit the hood well. You can see the rubber sticking up and out

I declined to accept it. I'm going to talk to the shop manager on Monday to decide if we should:

1. Remove the bumper and install a new OEM one. I think we're going to sacrifice the paint match if I do this but hopefully the fit will improve. Or just have them try to adjust it, not sure if this is possible.
    2. They have to adjust the fender somehow so it's flush. Also not sure if this is possible. Since they tried to lie to me about the bumper, I'm wondering if the fender is also just repaired or if it's aftermarket rather than OEM. Still don't know how to check. I tried to run my hand along the inside to see if there was any obvious dents but couldn't really tell.

Sorry, photos with my iPhone. I took a shot of the undamaged right side for comparison.

Attached Files:

14. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good call, but, to my eyes, the paint on the bumper is wayyyyy off.
    Sad to say, but I've done better matching of the BP when I painted the license plate bracket on mine using only rattle cans and blending by eye.
    They'll give you a song and dance about how difficult it is to match, but, in truth, a good painter with a good eye can do it - just takes a little more time and care than they're willing to devote.

WE0H likes this.
  15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That rubber seal should be just below the surface with the hood closed. I can see mine and it is just below the surface. Also my bumper and fenders line up with perfect gaps all around and the same on each side. I am using 5k daylight lighting in my garage and my bumpers look the same tint as the sheetmetal. Like Dan said above, a good painter can match paint. The quickie shops slap it together and whip on a bit of paint and call it a day. You want a good finish that will fade like the rest of the car not having one part of the car looking nice 10 years from now and the repainted part pale and not glossy looking :-(

Mike

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, it's off to some degree even straight out of factory because of plastic vs. metal especially with light colors such as BP. This problem exists across the board among manufacturers. Some people claim they can't see the color difference but they aren't looking carefully enough and from all angles (unless their color perception is poor).

WE0H likes this.
  17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OP, I'd do a couple of things differently if I were you. Always go through your insurance company from the beginning if you were not at fault. They'll pursue the other party for damages and get your deductible back (i.e., costs them nothing so no potential increase in your premium). Always go with the recommended shop by the insurance. They won't question the recommended repairs and get it done right away (no appraiser needed) and they offer lifetime guarantee on repairs done by recommended shops (at least good companies like Farmers do; do not know about Geico).

You live in California. That means you must pursue the claim against the 3rd party (Mercury), but DV is difficult to do in California (if you can succeed at all) so I wouldn't bother.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree to "some degree". But looking at that picture I think that's an unacceptable difference.

There might be a very slight difference in a brand new from the factory but judging from the pictures the OP posted, that bumper paint job is horrible. To my eyes it doesn't even look close.

I wouldn't accept that poor a match. And uneven gaps between body panels?

I wouldn't be happy with that quality of work.

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Quality of work aside, I've seen that big of a difference even on factory painted especially from certain angles. Go out and look at enough cars to check for yourself. It's not something people usually notice unless pointed out.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Staring at mine I can see the bumpers are darker shade. Close enough ;) Different lighting and different cameras will show different shades :D

Mike