1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident Forum?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi:

I propose that we create an "accident forum" on Priuschat. As you probably know, HUMU was hit by an anoymous jerk a few weeks ago and is still being repaired. I found lots of support and ideas from people on this chat line, and was also contacted by another Prius owner, off line, who wanted to ask me questions about my ordeal since her Prius was also involved in an accident.

Corresponding with this person got me thinking that it might be both a source of consolation as well as a source of ideas, if we had a specific forum dedicated to discussing accidents and mishaps with our Prii. Not always the most cheery reading, I know, but it helps to be able to schmooze with others who've had some unfortunate experiences.

We pilots always read accident reports to determine the causes of accidents so that we can better prevent them. Some of us may have had accidents in our Prii due to the quirks of the car that we might wish to share so that some other newbie doesn't have the same experience.

I learned about where not to park my car; I didn't need the chatline to learn that, but I did get inspired by the chatline to do some research into "diminished value" and how unibody cars are repaired.

Ideas?

Bob

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:10991e55a8]I like your idea, Bob. I haven't had an accident in my Prius, nor do I have excessive wander, or headlights that won't aim right, but I'm glad to read about them, so if something should arise, I'll have a little mental preparation.

Any bladder or burping problems I might have I won't discuss on PriusChat! :lol:[/font:10991e55a8]

3. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's an area of not much interest - until it happens to you! It's definitely helpful to read others experience if you become a statistic. I was rear ended 3 weeks ago today and the car has been in the shop for 2 weeks now awaiting one more part.

The final estimate came to $5,050 and I'll have the rental car for 3-4 weeks the way it's looking.

My saga starts with the 4th post at:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/advice-for...ighlight=advice

4. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Great idea. I just got my Prius back from getting a new bumper. It was really helpful reading other people's postings on the subject.

5. Mommarita

Mommarita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Freeway accident! Should I take 2009 Prius to dealership or aaa certified auto repair? 500.00 deductible either way but aaa certified I don't have to wait for a claims examiner. Just want to know from someone more experienced on where I would get it repaired better. Would it be easier to get all that needs done with the autobody shop owner or the claims examiner from AAA thru dealership?
    Accident details: had to run over shredded truck tire on freeway and it tore up the left driver side bumper and under bumper. Surprisingly the headlight is fine but underneath I can see just beyond the plastic shredded bumper a dent in something that looks like a filter of some sort... Also, the master warning (red triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of it) is on...and it is making a strange sound even in park. Thanks for any guidance. So appreciate the time and effort y'all do here.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, this thread really turned out to be popular! can't see how bob never posted in it.

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually I have found that AAA runs a really great accident repair service, especially here in SoCal. I have dealt with Classic Collision on Riverside Drive in Los Felize/Silverlake area. They have an agreement with several Insurance company's that if they write it up, the Insurance will take their word for the repair and get the job done! The local Toyota dealers I have delt with told me they just flatbed what ever comes in right on down to Classic for the major body and paint issues.
    I have had my 4Runner rebuilt there twice, and the Prius repainted once, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for repair jobs!
    They really rock! :D

8. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Many Toyota dealers don't have collision repair facilities in-house, so they contract the work out to other repair shops. The repair estimate will probably be lower if you go directly to a trusted repair shop instead of the dealership for body work.

The '07 was broadsided near the front when it was 2-weeks old. :eek: The independent shop did a thorough job with the repair. It took a little while (about 6-weeks), but I'm very happy with the result and the professionalism of all involved. They only way to tell it was repaired is by the way the fresh paint wrapped around the door edges differently than the original paint--only visible from point-blank range.

9. Heather Bushie

Heather Bushie New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius was just rear ended today- anybody think it won’t be considered totaled?

Attached Files:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't look too bad, is it driveable?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah borderline but I think repairable. Maybe. 5~6 grand?

12. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius was totaled almost two years ago (thread here) - I rolled the dice and went through the salvage process. So far (hope I don't jinx myself) it was a good gamble.... I've added another 25k trouble free (besides replacing the 12V) miles since the ordeal.

bisco likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the rear/right door bent? That might tip it.

14. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    4th gen 2016 Model 3... I doubt they would total that unless there's some serious damage to the frame. Now if that had been a gen 2, it would be a goner for sure.