1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident. Hit from behind....my tire fell off!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pri4me, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Pri4me

Pri4me New Member

Well, I was in an accident yesterday. Everyone walked away, but nearly cried when I saw what happened to my car. I've attached a photo, I hope it shows up for you.

I was stopped on the road, waiting to make a left turn with my blinker on and the other driver apparently was not paying attention & just smacked right into the rear passenger side of my car...totally shocked, I heard no brakes..had no warning! I tried to pull the car off to the side of the road, but my car would not move!(wonder why) When I saw it I could not believe that was even possible. However, the car performed well, as I only bumped my head on the seat's head rest & except for being a "little" flustered, I am fine.

I am now dealing with insurance & it sucks! I'm not sure if I hope for it to be totalled or if I really want my car back! (I REALLY want my car back!) I should find out today what the estimate is.

It has helped to see the other Prius accident stories on here. Generally just feeling like such an idiot for being so attached to a CAR! The Ford Focus rental is MUCH different!

BTW...has anyone got any thoughts on WHY the tire fell off like that?

Attached Files:

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, judging by the damage, I wouldn't say that the tire exactly "fell" off...

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the impact broke the axle from what little I can see. I suspect the impact hit the wheel directly and broke it off.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    looks like a freakish incident involving a colliding vehicle hitting your Prius at the angle that would just catch the tire. at least this implies SOME effort to avoid hitting you.

having totaled my 04, i can say that the part of your Prius that was hit is very flimsy. in a normal car, the body would have deflected the colliding vehicle more probably saving your tire but that force would have been transferred to your neck, head and back.

that tire must have created quiet a jolt though. glad you are ok.

5. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

I tested my rear 5MHPH bumper a few weeks ago while sitting at a stop at a red light. A very nice black mercedes simply bumped into me, and kept pushing. I noiced starbucks coffee cups flying about in the car behind, and I believe I noticed an airborne cell phone. The damage was simply a slightly scuffed rear bumper cover, which doesn't bug me all that much. The aluminum beam that is behind the cover looks to have taken the hit fairly well.
    Sorry to see your Pri didn't fare as well.

ss

6. Pri4me

Pri4me New Member

Thanks guys...we were thinking that he probably actually made impact with my tire.

Dave : I've read about your accident & I am concerned about how much this will cost, not that I am paying for it, but hoping it is not SO expensive that they total it. Am I right in thinking that the entire panel on the side is one piece from front to back? I didn't notice any breaks in it, which makes me think they would have to replace the entire thing? Then the bumper, they can't just fix the part that is missing, that would have to also be a total replacement? Then the rear axle is totally bent, which you can't see in the picture. Aside from the broken tire, I didn't think it was that bad at first, but then talking with my husband and the guys that towed it, they keep making it sound like the insurance company might total it.

Unfortunately our local dealer does not do collision repair, but they said the place we have it at is one that they recommend, so we'll see what happens....the waiting is tough, but it sounds like I should learn to get used to it!!

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to avoid confusion and misunderstanding in future conversations you might have about this accident I want to clarify a little terminology.

Tire: The rubber part of the wheel
    Rim:The metal part that the tire attaches to
    Wheel: Generally refers to the combination of rim and tire but can mean just the rim.

So, in your case it is better to refer to the "wheel" having broken off rather than the tire falling off (suggesting it seperated from the rim).

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pri4me @ Oct 6 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]329114[/snapback]</div>
    I'm wondering if, perhaps, the impact that the wheel took actually will reduce the cost of the bodywork.

I'm not an expert, either. But, surely, every time a Prius has damage to the right quarter, they don't cut the whole roof off or total the car...do they...?

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i found out that any Prius repair is a very expensive project. space age molded plastic and aluminum panels all boost the cost. the lack of spare parts (blame that on better than average reliability motive systems. iow, not many sitting around with a blown engine and good body parts!!)

without knowing about any frame damage, i dont think your Prius will be totaled. my insurance company told me mine would be totaled based on my description of the damage. all they do is total up the "zones" involved and if its over a certain level, its totaled.

on my accident, the entire left side was trashed. no frame damage at all. just a slight glancing blow by a solid heavy metal reinforced pickup truck bumper against my aluminum panels.

your accident from what i can see looks to be only two zones. mine was

1) left front
    2) front left side
    3) rear left side
    4)left rear

i would make sure they check out the frame damage. hitting the wheel like that means a pretty good bump against the sturdiest part of the frame.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaintStephen @ Oct 6 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]329109[/snapback]</div>
    Haha. Did you get the opportunity to see the mess created by the flying Starbucks? For someone in a nice Mercedes, that's probably the worse part of the incident.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pri4me @ Oct 6 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]329114[/snapback]</div>
    I have trouble imagining there wouldn't be some frame damage if it hit hard enough to bend the axle and break a wheel. I'm not sure if the wheel broke, or the rear axle, but in my experience, that car may well be totalled. The rear quarter panel is typically part of the unibody, repair panels can be welded on, but depending on how much of the structure is involved... Sorry for the bad luck, but glad everyone walked away.

12. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was hit in a parking lot a few weeks ago too, but all repaired now...542 bucks.

Attached Files:

13. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hwalker911 @ Oct 6 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]329137[/snapback]</div>
    And that was probably just a new bumper cover, right? Do they come in different colors, or do they have to be painted?

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    can't see too well... but it looks like a snapped axle and a broken strut. good luck with the insurance, glad you're not hurt!

15. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hwalker911 @ Oct 6 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]329137[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hwalker911 -

Hope a good Samaritan pops up for you like one did for us! A few years ago, my wife was parked at mall parking lot. She came out to see damage similar to yours, except it was the left rear. There was a note on the windshield from a witness. She was alert enough to include the license plate number & car description! We turned in the accident to to the local police. They struck out on the license number. About 3 months later, she got another call from the local police. Seems a clerk had a little time to kill & was doing some follow ups. He tried some other similar license numbers & BINGO!

We eventually got a check from that driver for the cost of repairs!

Is that a happy ending?

16. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 6 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]329067[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to hear about your accident, and glad everyone is ok.

Physics tells us that all the energy from a collision must go somewhere. Any energy expended in crushing crumple zones, or bending axles and snapping off wheels, is energy that does not go into throwing the occupants around in the vehicle. So in a way, the "damage" can be seen as a good thing.

The trend towards higher fuel economy, lighter vehicles, and cheaper production costs has brought a necessary paradigm shift. The days of protecting drivers and passengers by simply making cars bigger and heavier are fading into history. New vehicles are designed to sacrifice themselves to save their human cargo. While designers have found ingenious and lightweight ways to protect us, the high replacement cost of these sacrificial systems creates a higher percentage of "totaled" vehicles. I am happy these systems exist, and even payed extra for them (optional air bags), but also expect the high replacement costs will continue to drive auto insurance rates skyward. Alas, these are trade-offs, and the trend will most certainly continue.