1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident on Carfax of PIP I have been considering

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JJBuckley, Nov 21, 2015.

1. JJBuckley

JJBuckley Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Hello all! I have been looking at a 2012 off lease PIP with 39k miles on it for $13,994 (I live in Tampa and they're apparently much cheaper here now than in say, CA) and on the carfax there was an accident reported that the car hit an "earth embankment". I brought this up to the dealer and he said there must not have been any structural damage because there was no disclosure by Toyota when they bought it at auction off lease and that they are legally obligated to disclose if there is. Is there a way to confirm that the incident was in fact minor? IE Insurance or Police incident reports? I'd also like any report to have stating it was a non-incident structurally so that I can prove that when I sell the car in a few years. Carfax tells you very little. The VIN is JTDKN3DPXC3014736 . Besides that is this vehicle seemingly a good deal for the market or should I wait? Really trying to do my due diligence in becoming a 1st time Prius owner.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to divorce myself from the immediate gut reaction to say "Just Don't Do It".

I'd say, I'm not sure how you could confirm the severity of the accident. I'm not sure if you could legally obtain past insurance reports or Police incident reports.

Because it was in that accident, and purchased at auction, that's why you are getting that buy in price for a PiP with those low miles.
    But of course the opposite side of the sword is there....you would be taking the risk of buying a vehicle you KNOW was in an accident, and has that reported in it's history.

I actually think the best thing to do, would be have a body shop take a look at it. A skilled estimator, should be able to take a look and ascertain how much work it appears has been done.

I'd be suspicious of the dealer making the casual claim that there "must not of been any structural damage because...." simply because they are trying to sell the vehicle, and it really is a situation for them where what they don't know doesn't hurt them....but it could hurt you.

Regardless of what you do, it's always going to have that accident in it's reported history. And if you plan to sell it in a few years? I don't know if I would expect it to hold it's value very well in relationship to a vehicle with similar miles and age, without that reported accident.

But the idea of trying to obtain Insurance or Police reports isn't bad. Just don't know how possible. If you could somehow find out where and who did the body work? What exactly they did in repair might be obtainable.

JJBuckley likes this.
  3. JJBuckley

JJBuckley Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    In Tampa and on that same lot they have multiple Plug-ins with no incidents for $1000 more ($14,994) this one seems to just be on clearance because of the technical incident which does appear to be minor and the the fact it's a less desired color (personally color matters very little to me as I approach things from a pretty utilitarian perspective). We have 2 dealers in Tampa (maybe the only 2 in FL) that have Plug-ins and they're both pretty much no haggle. But like you said it would always have that on the Carfax and always be an issue for resale. Really sucks because up until today when I found out about the incident I was pretty much all-in on the car. I'd love to give my business to the other dealer who seems to be really cool guy and also a priuschat.com member but his prices are slightly less competitive, hoping he comes back to the message I left him with some wiggle room on price. Back to the drawing board.

#3 JJBuckley, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know of any way. try putting the vin number into the toyota owners site?

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I second having an independent body shop look at it. It would only take them a few minutes to tell you whether is was minor or major damage.

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if you really want "clearance", find one as private party sale, much more wiggle room for negotiation.
    IMHO, color selection is a major issue in florida if you plan to keep the car in sun for any length of time.
    but coming back to the accident, it could be something minor or it could be a roll over. bring someone who knows about body repair to inspect the car. there no such thing as perfect repair.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Get a quote from your insurance company & ask about it.

8. JJBuckley

JJBuckley Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Private part Plug-in's are pretty much non-existent in FL. My options seem pretty limited to these two shops. As far as color in Florida, it's hot here but we hardly ever get over 100 like other places in the USA. It's more the humidity than the actual high temps. Tampa is pretty nice year round. I would consider our climate more warm and less 'extreme'.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would describe it as perfect, especially in jan., feb., and march!:p

JJBuckley likes this.
  10. JJBuckley

JJBuckley Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Exactly! Summers are hot, sure but not 110+ hot like AZ Texas yada yada. The humidity is what get tough to deal with but Miami vs Tampa is pretty different I'd say....anyways, I digress

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The worst case scenario would be if something expensive broke on the hybrid system, and then Toyota refused to cover cost on the basis of accident. This seems a little non-Toyota attitude, but we've heard some stories that FL Toyota division is not as nice as the rest of Toyota.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless you buy "their" Southeast Region warranty.

13. JJBuckley

JJBuckley Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I think I'm going to skip it. The same dealer has one for $1000 more ($14,994) with 6k less miles and it has a clean history. $1000 and 6month worth of miles on top of no headache is worth it for me.

minnyprius and frodoz737 like this.
  14. lifehouse

lifehouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The one with less worry would always a better choice, good luck with the purchase and congrats in advance.

15. boricua

boricua New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi JJB
    Did you buy your Prius yet? I am thinking of checking Evo Motors in Seffner FL given their selection.

16. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you know where the accident took place? You should be able to go to the local DMV and pull the accident record. Costs $5 to do here in MN... but you have to do it in the state where it took place.

17. JJBuckley

JJBuckley Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I haven't purchased yet. I am probably going to go with the gentleman from Tampa Hybrids. I like his small business owner feel and he is willing to move on price a tad it seems, (though not much, he said he could take off like $700 bucks but it varied from car to car). His cars were also cleaner than the cars on the Evo Motors lot. Evo was unable to move on price at all and generally made me feel as though they were doing me a favor like they could care less if they had my business from the second I got on the lot. I am just waiting for Tampa Hybrids to get in a PIP in white or the greenish color in my price range to make a move. I don't typically rush these type of purchases.

boricua likes this.
  18. boricua

boricua New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok JJ Buckley, appreciate the feedback. I am days from getting my prius v, need the space for my surfboard. This chat site has ben so useful!