1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Accident rates in the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stev0, May 8, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen a lot of threads and posts on this board about accidents and folk's Prii being smashed and totaled.

Question: What is the accident rate for the Prius? Is it higher or lower than average?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    probably slightly lower. i believe the accident rate overall is about the same as any other car with a few exceptions, i believe (its only my opinion remember!) that the Prius driver is more conservative so the reckless factor is lower than the general average. the car is relatively new so less cheap used ones out there (the cost of used ones are going almost as fast as the cost of gasoline!!) so a smaller percentage of younger drivers driving a Prius and they on a percentage basis are more prone to accidents.

now that a lot of accident threads have been posted here (i have been in two of them one major and one minor neither my fault) only appears that way but in fact, the actual number is probably low. out of the say what 20,000+ Prius owners over more than 3 years?? i believe the accident rate is actually way below the general average

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For actual numbers you can start Here.

That's by no means conclusive data but it's definitely compiled by people who car about such things :)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ May 8 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]438041[/snapback]</div>
    ah Prius fares pretty well in the theft department. went thru several categories and didnt see anyone that matched that 13 rating

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tempus- thanks- that was a great database to look at!
    So we may be in collissions but less injuries that average and way less theft than average.